what did you do to your car today?

R13

The other asshole
Aftermarket dizzy’s are still notorious for failing on these cars, much like my mustang when a COP coil failed I looked everywhere and there is no good alternative options. It’s basically oem or you’ll be replacing it in 6-12 months.

Even a reputable company like MSD outsources a lot of the less popular components and they’re just cheap Chinese junk. Holds true for both 99-04 mustangs, and integra’s/90s hondas

BarebonesB18

Aftermarket dizzy’s are still notorious for failing on these cars, much like my mustang when a COP coil failed I looked everywhere and there is no good alternative options. It’s basically oem or you’ll be replacing it in 6-12 months.

Even a reputable company like MSD outsources a lot of the less popular components and they’re just cheap Chinese junk. Holds true for both 99-04 mustangs, and integra’s/90s hondas
Aight, granted its chinese crap, shouldnt it be good NOW, Ill deal with it busting in 6mos when I get there, buy an oem unit then.

I pulled a plug to check for spark again after distributor install, still nothing. Is it possible the ign. (black/yellow) wire shorted...

when it broke, the rig ran fine and wouldnt restart when I turned it off for like .2 seconds

R13

The other asshole
I would get it swapped if that’s an option, or try to find someone with a known working oem one and try it if possible

Also I’m not trying to sound like a condescending dick, even though that’s probably exactly what I look like :lol: Believe it or not there used to be hundreds of us in this dead ass place, and dizzy problems were common, and almost always traced back to a crap aftermarket unit, or just a dead oem distributor so I’m just trying to write off what it’s more likely to be before moving on to more complicated solutions.

BarebonesB18

I would get it swapped if that’s an option, or try to find someone with a known working oem one and try it if possible

Also I’m not trying to sound like a condescending dick, even though that’s probably exactly what I look like :lol: Believe it or not there used to be hundreds of us in this dead ass place, and dizzy problems were common, and almost always traced back to a crap aftermarket unit, or just a dead oem distributor so I’m just trying to write off what it’s more likely to be before moving on to more complicated solutions.
Not entirely an option, any way to test the unit??

R13

The other asshole
There’s probably a technical way but google would be more helpful than me on that :lol:

One way you might be able to tell is get yourself a test light if you don’t have one, they’re super cheap, and have someone crank it while you probe the plug that plugs into the dizzy and look for the ignition pulse/signal. If the dizzy is getting signal and you’re not getting spark then there’s a real good chance the dizzy is just dead.

BarebonesB18

There’s probably a technical way but google would be more helpful than me on that :lol:

One way you might be able to tell is get yourself a test light if you don’t have one, they’re super cheap, and have someone crank it while you probe the plug that plugs into the dizzy and look for the ignition pulse/signal. If the dizzy is getting signal and you’re not getting spark then there’s a real good chance the dizzy is just dead.
Good call on checking the dizzy plug, Ill try and find time to check today...
and yea duh, google was the move there, a bunch of info on checking the dizzy internals
Kinda surprised I didnt get one of those "learn to use the f***ing search bar" responses :lol:

R13

The other asshole
If Ty was here that’s exactly the response you would’ve gotten :lol:

He’s an asshole, I’m the friendly neighborhood asshole

DCiFound

SEAHAWKS!!
I was noticing the MPG was going down a little bit at 90k miles.

Today, I decided to do my spark plugs. Took a little longer than expected. Didnt realize there was a bracket, then I needed a deep 10mm socket I didnt have on hand. Box wrench to the rescue. Then the 14mm deep socket didnt have a rubber boot inside it. My magnetic friend helped get the plug out.

The engine is quieter. Lets see the MPG go up.

Noneed2Hate

Put the WRX back together after adjusting one of the passenger side cams that was off by 1 tooth. Put the coolant back in, burped the hell out of the system and got it to operating temps while doing so, hopefully I'll have no overheating issues. Still need to take it out for a drive but want to get some extra coolant first just in case I have issues.