what is a fair price to paint a front lip?

fever927

Got a type-R style front lip from ebay for 95$. ..

I don't have a garage so I don't want to do the painting myself, plus i have never done any painting job myself before.. So I went to this bodyshop this morning and asked them to paint the front lip AND my side skirts. The owner said he really doesn't like dealing with the side skirts' materials (plastic?). So he refused to paint the side skirts for me. And for the front lip, he estimated the price, total is 271.73$. I thought it's a bit pricey so I told him I will think about it first...here is the detail of the estimation:

Perp-Spoiler 0.5hr $18.00 for Parts
color match 0.3hr
paint 1.0hr $36.00
clear coat .05hr $18.00
Flex Additive $5.00$
labor $80/hr X 2.3=$184.00 + paint materials 77.00$ + CA Tax 6.73 = $271.73

Does that sound fair to you guys? I think this is pretty expensive for a front lip.how much do you think the cost for painting both front lip and side skirts?. By the way the shop is at Davis, CA...

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Take it to maaco lol

Thats waaay to much for a lip, my friend can paint a bumper for 100

LSiNtegraDB7

I enjoy Integras.
I have the perfect website for you. Here. It's someones archived process/diy on painting their lip kit for an Integra. You can buy color matched spray paint from automotivetouchup.com. $20 a can. Good luck :thumbs up

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
$271 seems a little on the high side, but if it's good work it's worth it, but of course you won't know that until after the fact, heh. If your even gonna get the sideskirts painted, it'll be cheaper to have the lip and skirts painted all at once instead of separatley.

whitedc4

normally when you paint a seperate piece of your car the body shop will try to match it with your whole car and since your cars paint is older than new its more than likely sunfaded even if its a small amount it will make a big difference the best way to do it is to have ur front bumper painted along with it. they can normally match it better that way

Cripton805

They would seriously take 2.3 hrs to paint it... seriously... with a spray gun?
They're f'n stupid then.

I paid $1200 for body work, new bumper, good quality paint, & that was the whole car!!!

a lip is tiny piece compared to what I did and he doesn't want to do the skirts?!? OK???
I'm surprised he is still in business.

$271 would be good for the lip and the skirts!

Rich-PMS

A bumper cost 150 to prep/paint at local shops around here. No more than 100 for a lip by itsself!

My buddy does lips for 65$ on his days off, 75$ for sideskirts, and 100$ bumpers.

You are getting ripped off, that's for damn sure.

BeatBox

Real Good!
yeah way too much, the local shop would do them for $100-150 for lip and skirts.
if you cant do it have some one that is not going to ripp you off do it for you

Peeples

In the end its not worth it....

I got mine whole car done from a no name for $750 and he left HAIR, FINGER PRINTS, Didnt fill in dents like he said he would.

And to top it all off he double sided sticky taped my side trim back on and did it crocked ( Told him to fix it and he did )

DIY FTW!

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
The old saying you get what you pay for is very true when it comes to paint/bodywork. Did you even take into consideration the cost in materials that the painter will have? Call up a local paint supplier and price out the Base/Clear/Reducer, plus sand paper, tac cloth ect...it adds up very quickly. I wouldn't personally paint a bumper for 100 bucks either, after you buy the materials, you will have made maybe 50bucks..not worth it to me. I paint cars and unless your a good buddy of mine I wont do it for under 1500. Right now I am painting a 65 Impala and the guy has more then 4k wrapped up in it. Doesn't help that he chose 2010 Camaro silver lol, shits expensive.