What's better for an Integra, Supercharger or Turbo?

AcuraIn98

Rock out with my DOHC out
I know supercharges arnt mentioned often. Well me and my buddy in class were having this heated discussion over... Would a supercharger or a turbo get better suited for our car, Performance wise. I see TONS of civics..integras..... but i rarely see superchargers. Yes there are some out there, but i dont tend to see them on the road. I was thinking about getting a supercharger to get me up to... 300-400 hp. Since i know superchargers have no lag. The turbo has to spool b4 it kicks in. when the supercharger does not. So i guess i just wanted to get everyone's view on this.

Btw... i've had a hard time finding superchargers for an integra with that hp.

Last edited:

speedin

The Transporter
AcuraIn98 said:
I know supercharges arnt mentioned often. Well me and my buddy in class were having this heated discussion over... Would a supercharger or a turbo get better suited for our car, Performance wise. I see TONS of civics..integras..... but i rarely see superchargers. Yes there are some out there, but i dont tend to see them on the road. I was thinking about getting a supercharger to get me up to... 300-400 hp. Since i know superchargers have no lag. The turbo has to spool b4 it kicks in. when the supercharger does not. So i guess i just wanted to get everyone's view on this.

Btw... i've had a hard time finding superchargers for an integra :-/
The Integra has ALOT of superchargers. They tend to have a lower limit on power because of a ROOTS style. For Integras im more a fan of superchargers. Thier much better DD then turbos. For a DD going from a stop the SC will help, Turbo wont be their for awhile. Depending on the turbo it can be TOO MUCH for a FWD street car. Or the spools could be horendus. So im sticking to a B18C with a Supercharger being bliss. (think you said, you were dropping in a B18C somewhere)

The B18B is a odd-ball. You see with a supercharger its still lacking. Not bad, quite well for a DD actually. But for a nice moderate output IMO its lacking. Thats why instead of getting a nicer SC people just go turbo. But then you will have the turbo disadvantages.

In the end a turbo will take you ferther, but you will suffer for it. (lag, DD, traction). A SC is for the DD car when you dont want to race everyone and win. But still be faster than alot of people.

Note their are 2 main designs to superchargers. The first is a Roots style. (im going to be REAL breif) Gives near instant power. Basically gets to the max flow faster. But because of this is limited in its CFM's (air flow).

2nd type is centrifugal superchargers, think of them as a simplified turbo. The belt will spin the turbos turbine (fans). Instead of exhaust gasses spinning it (as with a typical turbocharger system). So this means you can get more air volume (more power) like turbos can do. But your lag time is reduced. Keep in mind the centrifugal superchargers is not an instanst spool, I dont know how fast it spools. But id imagine alot quicker than a turbo. The centrifugal superchargers behaves alot like turbos on power delivery (peaky). But I beleve their units are larger so they can deliver a more linear power (not so peaky, easyer on a DD car) than turbos. But even their centrifugal superchargers cant get as big as a turbo, so youll still be limited.

But like I said a supercharger is for some who wants a DD and can live with the fact their not "the fastest." Because really in the end....after that $50K you just dumped in your car. Your still not fast enough. Its a pritty shitty realization but once you make it youll save alot of $.

Last edited:

imtheloserone

Banned
300-400whp s/c b series? where? must have a built engine with no p/s and spray...even Kseries have a hard time hitting 350-400whp on a s/c...i kno a couple, well several Kseries owners with a s/c both comptech and jr.

turbo is ur best bet for big numbers

speedin

The Transporter
imtheloserone said:
300-400whp s/c b series? where? must have a built engine with no p/s and spray...even Kseries have a hard time hitting 350-400whp on a s/c...i kno a couple, well several Kseries owners with a s/c both comptech and jr.

turbo is ur best bet for big numbers
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-843362230476296874&q=integra

thiers one.

Here is a Vortech bolt-on. Also this is only 6.9PSI. Alot of ppl are at 11.

OH AND I TAKE BACK WHAT I SAID ABOUT JACKSON RACING! They have a new kit called Rotrex. Using the Centrifical design

Last edited:

AcuraIn98

yes your correct im dropping a gsr engine in there. Im more about turbo in the high end power. Like you said DD is for S/C. I was thinking a stage 2 turbo, greddy, turbonetics.... have couple friends who are real fans of them. Thanks for your input tho.

yea i have seen that video. I thought they could get in the 300 range... but over 400 i dont think you can, unless its custom

speedin

The Transporter
AcuraIn98 said:
yes your correct im dropping a gsr engine in there. Im more about turbo in the high end power. Like you said DD is for S/C. I was thinking a stage 2 turbo, greddy, turbonetics.... have couple friends who are real fans of them. Thanks for your input tho.

yea i have seen that video. I thought they could get in the 300 range... but over 400 i dont think you can, unless its custom
Yes, to get near 400 will take some work. Its all preferance. Me I wouldnt want another "Peaky powered" FWD turbo. RWD, or AWD. Thats a whole nother story. Traction will not be your friend in FWD.

On the turbo, be shure to get one that will hold to the high redline. Many turbos will just loost boost at a GSRs redline.

AcuraIn98

or... i could just put a type r in there :-D

ltrain

i heard people still prefer the old skool jackson racing supercharger (supercharger.com , they still produce them) because of the smoother powercurve unlike the vortech which slaps a supercharger on a teg
id rather get the old school even though it has less power...

speedin

The Transporter
ltrain said:
i heard people still prefer the old skool jackson racing supercharger (supercharger.com , they still produce them) because of the smoother powercurve unlike the vortech which slaps a supercharger on a teg
id rather get the old school even though it has less power...
Id say people say that because the Roots style is the OG (lol) and it also gives that smooth powercurve and instant power. In otherwords much nicer for a DD.

speedin

The Transporter
AcuraIn98 said:
The B18c5 is the type r right? what you think it put out to the max?
Stock 98+ spec

» Horsepower : 210 HP
» Torque : 134lbs-ft@7500rpm
» Compression : 11.0:1

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
That dyno chart of the vortech says it all. Although it does make 240hp at 7k, it makes significantly less all across the board where you spend more time. It is making 240hp at 7k but less than 200hp at 6k and only like 140hp 5k. Peak hp numbers are very deceiving on centrifugal superchargers.