WTF did I do to my GSR Blades?? Pics inside....

red00lght

So I bought the wheels off of ebay. They arrived and looked ok, but needed a little work. I tried mothers aluminum wheel polish and it turned the wheel black...like it usually would,...but this time the black doesn't come off. The harder I try to get it off, the darker the wheel gets. It now looks like a shiny gunmetal (could be worse I guess....lol). I've tried other waxes, polishes, compounds, light sandpaper (2000 grit) and they all do the same thing.

I've read the polishing wheel threads and I really don't want to strip off the clear coat and spend countless hours sanding (I'm 40 yrs old so I just don't have the energy like I used to! :???:)
Any ideas??

Best wheel:

Black wheel:

Other ones:

red00lght

That is what my friends have said. Maybe I should just do it to all of them!! It might look ok since I have a silver car. But, the center caps will really stand out....

Rich-PMS

Paint the centercaps!

And I'm thinking the clearcoat was damaged on the wheels.

I would try to sand blast it and see what happens.

mirrorimg

Aluminum polish it meant for aluminum wheels. OEM wheels are aluminum, with a clear coat finish. That is your problem, you are trying to use aluminum polish on clear coat.

You need to remove the clear coat on the wheels to use aluminum polish on them.

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Have you contacted the seller? They could be a knock off. I've seen many people get "suckered" in to these types of sales. There should be a part number on them. If so, look that up on google or just post it and see if anyone (including myself) can tell you exactly what it's for.

Did you use a different center cap or did the logo come off when you were polishing?

red00lght

I didn't polish the centercap--they are just worn out (they were advertised that way so it wasn't a surprise).

The wheel says Honda Motor on the back and it is sorta hard to make out but it has 3T7560F and 15x6JJ 45 listed on it as well.

Mirrorimg--I think you're right--I'm going to have to strip the clearcoat off. I was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but guess it will! I did try regular wax, but it is turning the wheel black too--guess the clearcoat is just worn out?

Thanks for all the help guys!! 8)

alex14

VEEEETTAAAAKKKK!!! lol
Lacquer thinner is great for removing polish. I'm not sure what that will do to the clear though. If you'll take some of that and LIGHTLY put it on a rag then wipe the wheels down it might get it off without hurting the clear. At worst you'd have to strip the clear and you're right back where you started. Its worth a shot to me.

red00lght

Lacquer thinner is great for removing polish. I'm not sure what that will do to the clear though. If you'll take some of that and LIGHTLY put it on a rag then wipe the wheels down it might get it off without hurting the clear. At worst you'd have to strip the clear and you're right back where you started. Its worth a shot to me.
That is a great idea....I'll let ya know how it turns out....

shim

i need money
Haha, the black one looks SICK.

I'd say just hit them with a thinner or stripper and just start over..

j13

Keep It Clean
Strip the wheels man. There is alluminum under all that junk on the top surface.

Strip > sand > polish > :)

jznsn2u

The person who sold you the rims had it resprayed with too much clear coat(pic1). You're going to have to strip the clear if you want a very polished shiny finish. Although your going to have to keep polishing them montly if there is no clear coat.