Distributor problem?

WDEDMON1

So I hired two mechanics off of Craigslist to come help me line up the timing after a head job I did on it because my car wasn't running right. As it turns out, I had the timing right without them. The car will not crank at all. We did a compression test and all four cylinders are 150 psi or better. Fuel is getting in so that's outta the question. So we took the distributor cap off and the black rubber boot is loose on the end of it. Do you guys think this is the cause?

Cripton805

If there's no crank, it would be the battery, starter, alternator "Not charging the battery", relay, etc... Not the dizzy. If it was the dizzy, it would still crank, but wouldn't turn over.

DA's are prone to the main relay going out.
Also, check the fuse box (engine bay) and clean this white plug with a wire coming out of it w/ a Q tip.
That wire prevents your car from starting when it gets dirty.

Last edited:

WDEDMON1

My bad it tries to turn over but won't start. It's getting gas. I've changed the efi main relay before in this car.

Cripton805

My bad it tries to turn over but won't start. It's getting gas. I've changed the efi main relay before in this car.
Any codes? I had this happen to me with the coolant temp sensor.
It could also be the distributor coil, cap, or rotor.

Do a spark test.

m0dd3r43v3r

Check spark at the plugs, if there is none then check the igntion coil by holding a light tool next to the coil and see if it arcs when your try to start the engine if it arcs then get a new cap and rotor. If it dosent arc then check the negative wire going to the ignition coil by putting the light tool on the negative wire and trying to start the car and if the light tool lights up then all you have to do is change the ignition coil and your good. If the light tool dosent light up after that test then its your ICM. Just had to do this yesterday cause my car was getting everything but spark. :)

ryukkid

beep beep
put a screw driver on the tip of the spark plug and check if you see it spark be careful not to touch it tho you might get shock

LittleB10

x2 with modder4ever. check ignition coil. i replaced my dizzy and it was having similar problems...come to find out ign. coil was bad in a brand new dizzy. i put the old coil in the new dizzy and presto! fired up every time! u can get a "light tool" at autozone or advancedauto for around 15 bucks i think...any parts store should carry it...and it looks like a screwdriver with a cord on it. good luck man! let us know if ya got it working!

WDEDMON1

Thanx moddforever for the vid and the insight. Thanks littleb10 for the help on the light. If I had a dollar for every time this site has helped me I would buy a new teggy! I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.