Murphy's 99 Coupe

Murphy

Meat Master
I've done quite a bit of cosmetic/upkeep work to my car. Had since I turned 16, so 2008. Want to keep track of my progress, post future updates, and open myself to some unique ideas from you guys. Basically, everything I have done or plan to do has been to give my car a cleaner look, run smoothly, increase the life of my car, and up resale value/consumer desire. I don't ever plan on selling my car, so I want to keep it in pristine condition.

Description: 1999 Acura Integra Gs, Automatic, Vogue Silver, B18b1. Bought in 2008 from the 2nd owner for $5100 at 86k miles.

My ideas for the car:

As long is this is an automatic and non-vtec, there's no real point in doing major performance or racing inspired upgrades, such as forced induction and stiff/lowered suspension. Keeping it closer to stock will keep the resale value high and make it a comfortable daily driver. My ideas of good investments are durable parts (e.g. stainless steel), cleaning, proper maintenance, parts that allow the engine to run more efficiently, and anything that adds to a clean stock look of the car.

Exhaust:

-Yonaka 60mm stainless steel cat-back exhaust ($240)
-Megan Racing stainless steel header ($150)

Engine:

-DC Sports CAI ($152) with AEM Dryflow cover ($26)

Exterior:

-Spyder ccfl black halo headlights ($139)
-Black housing indicator lights ($15)
-15" stock mesh alloy rims repainted black with polished lip
-Stock rear wing
-Moonroof
-Shark attack 2 antenna ($30)
-Michelin and BF Goodrich a/s tires

Interior:

-Sony Exploud speakers ($150)
-Pioneer head unit with microphone ($230)
-Type R floor mats
-Tinted windows
-Type R replica reclinable racing seats ($210) + brackets ($180)

In progress:

Future ideas/Wish List:

-Full tint replacement
-Replace door lock and window motors
-Wrap armrest in charcoal leather

Issues Resolved:

-B-pipe rusted in half: Replaced cat back with Yonaka system
-Rusted hole in trunk: Cleared out rust, covered/bonded hole with steel sheet and silicon, repainted with Rustoleum
-Leak in front passenger footwell: Leak filled with epoxy
-Leak in trunk: Sealed taillight gaskets with silicon and lined trunk with silicon
-Replaced starter
-Faded headlights: Replaced with new ccfls
-Blown speakers: Replaced with Sony Explouds
-Disintegrated leather seats: Replaced with new Type R replica reclinable bucket seats
-Refurbished O2 sensor with blow torch
-Updated ignition system with NGK platinum spark plugs and wires and Bosch ignition cap and rotor
-Trunk wouldn't stay open: Replaced hatch lift hydraulics with new aftermarkets
-Two coolant leaks, replaced hoses and made new gaskets.

Last edited:

Teggy64

Got vtec?
Def get an sri. Youll prolly get 2-5hp bump. I noticed my car pulled slightly harder with the sri vs the stock box. But the real difference is in the sound. Especially on cold days the intake makes your car sound like it'll eat a small child. Plus it's just a bolt on part so you could always put your stock air box back on. Although once you hear the sound I doubt you'll want to.

White95SE

Def get an sri. Youll prolly get 2-5hp bump. I noticed my car pulled slightly harder with the sri vs the stock box. But the real difference is in the sound. Especially on cold days the intake makes your car sound like it'll eat a small child. Plus it's just a bolt on part so you could always put your stock air box back on. Although once you hear the sound I doubt you'll want to.
I agree. Intake sounds incredible. Especially toward the red, the high pitched air sucking noise is beast.

Pics?

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
1-2 hp from an intake. K&N's numbers are, how you would say, exaggerated a bit. Nevertheless, it's still a good intake. I personally would also suggest the HKS Hi-Power exhaust.

One complaint... Why the hell did you paint the cable cover while it was still on???? At least mask it off properly :smackself: woulda been really nice otherwise IMO, good color though. Needs some lowering

Murphy

Meat Master
1-2 hp from an intake. K&N's numbers are, how you would say, exaggerated a bit. Nevertheless, it's still a good intake. I personally would also suggest the HKS Hi-Power exhaust.

One complaint... Why the hell did you paint the cable cover while it was still on???? At least mask it off properly :smackself: woulda been really nice otherwise IMO, good color though. Needs some lowering
Thanks for the tip, don't think I'll be spending $200 for 2 hp lol. Again for the exhaust, I'm not gonna pay $400 for a max of 5 extra hp and a traveling rice popper. HKS is a nice performance brand, but I still don't like the noise.

Yeah i fcked up, gotta go back with some steel wool and paint thinner. Not gonna lower the car, don't like the lowered look and there's a ton of speed bumps in Tally :/

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
Looks nice, nothing wrong with stock. However, ad stated, the overspray looks Awful. Removing it will def make it clean overall.

96GSRteg

Tyler
did ray charles paint your valve cover?

+1 on wanting to keep it generally stock. i vote remove the grill you have going there as well.

Murphy

Meat Master
did ray charles paint your valve cover?

+1 on wanting to keep it generally stock. i vote remove the grill you have going there as well.
Haha yeah I know gotta clean it up tomorrow. The main reason I bought the grill is because the frame is busted up behind it and chunks of paint are missing. If i can apply my Macco paint warranty to it, I'll definitely consider it. It'll be nice to run full stock.

SilverSophie

valve cover is what 8 nuts?? would of taken 2 minutes to just take it off and spray it. please clean up the overspray looks like ass

clean ride overall though

GL, i agree with you. keep the damn thing stock. youll spend $1000 on bolts on and you'll still get walked on by v6 mustangs lol. not worth it. keep it clean and stock. i would say lower it though. looks nice IMO

94RS

No fucks given.
Thanks for the tip, don't think I'll be spending $200 for 2 hp lol. Again for the exhaust, I'm not gonna pay $400 for a max of 5 extra hp and a traveling rice popper. HKS is a nice performance brand, but I still don't like the noise.
Well that sounds like a bit of a contradiction there on the exhaust idea. You said in the first post that you may consider the Apexi WS2, but you don't want a knock off, and don't wanna pay over $400 an exhaust.

Even though it's a knock off, you may wanna consider the Yonaka since it's a replica of the WS2.

Yonaka = $250.
Apexi = over $600

Just saying for reference.

Murphy

Meat Master
Well that sounds like a bit of a contradiction there on the exhaust idea. You said in the first post that you may consider the Apexi WS2, but you don't want a knock off, and don't wanna pay over $400 an exhaust.

Even though it's a knock off, you may wanna consider the Yonaka since it's a replica of the WS2.

Yonaka = $250.
Apexi = over $600

Just saying for reference.
Well damn didn't know that, guess I just have expensive taste :p. Definitely wont be shelling out that much. The main reason why I won't consider HKS is because it's too loud and ricey.

cofman1

noticed you fixed passenger and trunk leak just got my tegg a week ago builder her up got her running good except those leaks. any advice where to look?

94RS

No fucks given.
[YOUTUBE="<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ZOTnksyVwNA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>"][/YOUTUBE]
Well damn didn't know that, guess I just have expensive taste :p. Definitely wont be shelling out that much. The main reason why I won't consider HKS is because it's too loud and ricey.
It could have also been the few places I've seen it trying to sell them for a ridiculous price. I agree with you on the HKS exhaust though, too damn loud for my liking.

Still think you should check into this though, JS.

[YOUTUBE="Yonaka"]ZOTnksyVwNA[/YOUTUBE]