streetable drag setup suggestions tire/wheel sizes

SnowCrash

Anti-Rice
I'm working on a '98 boosted lsv build and would like to see what everyone suggests for a daily driveable combination of wheel size and tire size. I've been digging through a few threads but none really fit my specific situation.

Of course I'd like the fronts a little fatter to be able to hook up (aiming at 300hp to the wheel) but still be able to make u-turns without ripping out my fenders (obv will have to roll them).

Currently rolling on fat fives and stock size s-drives but am looking into a wheel/tire purchase after it's boosted.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Not really an answer to your question, but since you are looking for traction, an LSD and sticky tires will be the biggest factor for getting grip. Whether you run a 7in or 8in wheel is really inconsequential at that level.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
15x8 225/45/15
This ^

You can run a 225 without rubbing at full lock or even rolling the fender. The rear actually presents more clearance issues. A 235 tire is also possible but the tire selection is poor.

Might I also suggest you look into boost by gear which is far more important as you will spin any tire in a low enough gear.

SnowCrash

Anti-Rice
You can run a 225 without rubbing at full lock or even rolling the fender. The rear actually presents more clearance issues.
So sounds like it should be a straight swap on the front, will any work need to be done on the rear?

I plan on keeping stock ride height, but will 1" drop cause clearance issues?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You'll want a high offset like +35 for a 15x8 wheel.

The drop doesn't cause issues but the camber does. Try to run minimal camber so you'll need adjustable UCA's. Its a balancing act between fender clearance and contact patch. The rear can be a pain. You will want to roll the fender lip or run a thinner tire. Adjustable camber in the rear is helpful too.

SnowCrash

Anti-Rice
You'll want a high offset like +35 for a 15x8 wheel.

The drop doesn't cause issues but the camber does. Try to run minimal camber so you'll need adjustable UCA's. Its a balancing act between fender clearance and contact patch. The rear can be a pain. You will want to roll the fender lip or run a thinner tire. Adjustable camber in the rear is helpful too.
Could always run donuts on the rear! I'll probably just run thinner tires, I kinda dig the fat front/thin rear look

Any thoughts/suggestions on raising the rear end to get more weight on the front and still being streetable?

SnowCrash

Anti-Rice
Actually was looking at a few threads and came across this pic

His setup is 15x6.5 and 205 tire

I'm guessing I would need a 15x7 (to support the 225 tire) to get the same look?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
That looks wider than 205. The 225 tire range is 7.5 - 8.5" wheel
Raising the rear would be negligible on weight balance. However reducing rear squat with stiff springs is beneficial.

This is a 225 Drag radial on a 8" wheel. You can see it still mushrooms out a bit. Would never fit on a 7" wheel.
The rears are 225 R888s on 15x8 also which are more square in the shoulders. That's proper tire/wheel fitment.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'

This is a 225/45/15 on a 15x8 +32 on my car. A x7" wheel should only be used with a 225 if for some reason you can't run an 8" wheel like rules excluding that size wheel.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
What tires are those Samurai? They tuck inside the fender well. You can really see the camber difference 0 vs 3*.