pressure plate going out?

95lsteg

when i take off in first and shift into 2nd at 8000 and shift like normal driving and my trans will grind. is this because my clutch is going bad. I know that i have just noticed it slipping about the same time i heard the grind. Does the clutch slipping and a bad pressure plate cause the trans to grind. if im not shifting fast or slamming it into gear?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Sounds like an issue with the synchros in the tranny to me. It's a common problem. Does it do it in every gear or just 1st-2nd?

95lsteg

Sounds like an issue with the synchros in the tranny to me. It's a common problem. Does it do it in every gear or just 1st-2nd?
nope. i can dd it everywhere and as high as i want as long as i slowly shift like if i push my foot to the ground wait a sec (i still could rev it up to 8000 and shift) it will be fine but if i push the clutch kinda fast in and out it grinds...

you can watch the car stay at the rpm for a sec and then drop after i have my foot on the clutch for a good amount of time. like the tach doesnt fall as soon as i start to push the clutch in...

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
IMO I would say thats the trans going out.

95lsteg

IMO I would say thats the trans going out.
my clutch is slipping so when i do shift while accel. when chaging gear it seems to hang on before disengaging. ive seen similar issues with other people.
like the clutch is pretty bad.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
The synchros are under a lot more load and stress at higher RPM though. Also consider that when you shift at 8,000; you're probably trying to shift a lot quicker than when you're just driving around granny shifting at 3,000

It's also possible that your clutch just may need to be adjusted. If the engagement point is too close to the ground it can make it harder to shift. This may be the case if you say the clutch is "hanging on". It may not be fully disengaging. Again, could be the result of needing adjustment or a leaky master or slave cylinder

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
i knoew in mine if i dont have the clutch all the way in she will grind.

95lsteg

i knoew in mine if i dont have the clutch all the way in she will grind.
Yeah and even if I have my foot all the way down if I have a leak in the master or slave cylinder then it won't disengage all the way sometime right... which would cause the grind?

95lsteg

Yeah and even if I have my foot all the way down if I have a leak in the master or slave cylinder then it won't disengage all the way sometime right... which would cause the grind?
I just looked at the clutch reservior and it was full three days ago and now it half way empty or so.. This is a sign or a leak correct?

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
if you have an ls like your name implies why the hell are you shifting at 8k and its not good on your tranny to shift at that rpm. but check for a leak. or try a realignment.

95lsteg

if you have an ls like your name implies why the hell are you shifting at 8k and its not good on your tranny to shift at that rpm. but check for a leak. or try a realignment.
i have a b16 in my teg actually. its just my dd motor til my gsr bottom end is done.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I just looked at the clutch reservior and it was full three days ago and now it half way empty or so.. This is a sign or a leak correct?
Yes. Check the all around the master cylinder areas up under the dash and the carpet under the clutch pedal as well to see if you see any signs of a leak. If it's leaking there then you need a new master cylinder.

Also check the slave cylinder on the transmission. It's the next highly likely suspect of a hydraulic leak

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
didn't read all these posts, i just want to know why you are shifting at 8000 from 1st to 2nd as a DD? do you not have stopsigns, stop lights, people, other cars, around you?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
didn't read all these posts, i just want to know why you are shifting at 8000 from 1st to 2nd as a DD? do you not have stopsigns, stop lights, people, other cars, around you?
This isn't a court hearing, who cares what he shifts at. Stay on topic