How To: Install 5 Panel Wink Mirror

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Hey guys. So after hating my stock mirror and blind spots I decided to go with a wink mirror! :D But once getting it and looking at the brackets I realized that the brackets would not install directly into the visor holes. I didnt want my visors and I didnt want any holes from the brackets on the mirror so I wanted to custom make something so I can install my visors and regular mirror back if I wanted to.
So here is the DIY! :D

Review:
I LOVE THIS THING. Best 28 bucks Ive spent on my car! Even got my friend to buy one for his buick cause he loves mine to and doesnt want blind spots. This thing ELINMATES blind spots! I would give it 11 out of 10 stars!

Tip:
Go look at the pictures below so you get an idea of what youre doing, then read it.

Parts:
-Some flat, hard metal (1/16 thickness but I found 1/8 was the strength that I needed). So either or.
Here's a link ---->http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hardware-Fasteners-Metal-Stock/h_d1/N-5yc1vZar1m/R-202183488/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
Or atleast something like that, use your imagination and find something cheaper that does the same job.

-Very small bolts and nuts that screw through the brackets givin in with the mirror. Will make sense later.
-Stickers if you want to sticker bomb it like I did :D

Tools:
-Metal snips
-Metal file
-Flathead screwdriver
-Phillips screwdriver
-Drill and drill bits

Pic to show what the finished product look likes so you get a idea of what youre doing.

Install:
1) buy the parts at a Lowe's, Home Depot, or a local place. (I went to a local shop)
2) Use a flat head and unscrew your visors (take them out). Also remove the stock mirror. You can pull the cap off and unscrew the bolts, but I though It would look cleaner if you just left it there. So all you have to do is literally just pull down fairly hard on the mirror and it will pop off. :D
3)Ok so here's the hard part. Here is a picture to show you what I made.

I traced the plastic around the visor (where the screws go in on the visors) onto the metal strip.
4) Cut as best you can to make that shape an oval just like how you traced it.
5) In the picture above, I have the snips, file, and it was a long metal strip (until i cut it). Once you have the ovals, go to your car and place them in the visor holes to see if you need to cut off some more metal.
6) Grab the file and start filing down those sides so they arent sharp or anything.
7) Then place them over the visors holes and use a sharpie to mark where you believe the holes are. Be very careful, this part is very important.

Both plates should only have 2 holes in them. This is a pic from further process.
8) Use a drill bit to drill the holes where you marked. I started off with size 11/64ths. (which should only work if your holes are dead on. But I ended using 3/16ths and then having to move up to size 7/32nds. I wouldnt go more than 1/4 because that may be too big for the screw heads.
Here is what you end up with.

(I bought the right one with a hole in it cause I didnt care lol)
9)Install the plates over the visor holes with the two visor screws and make sure it fits tight.
10) Pull of the left screw on your right visor and pull off the right screw on your left visor.
11) Install you brackets that come with the mirror onto the holes you just made and reinstall the screws finger tight. Like this.

Only have the right one sorry. The left visor should have the bracket in the left visor hole with the outside hole screwed in (on the bracket) Its just the opposite of the pic above.
12) Install your wink mirror just how you like it and move the brackets around the get the best postion.
13)Sharpie in the holes so you know where to drill
14) Uninstall everything and start drilling the 2 holes out. Slowly go bigger only if needed. Dont force the bolts in there, if you need to go bigger, go bigger.
Then you should end up with this.

Notice how the left one has a hole on bottum and the right has a hole on top. This is perfect.
14) Paint the plates whatever color you want.
16) Now get the small screws and bolts and install them in the 3rd holes you just made (through bracket and plate) and screw the bolt around it. If the bolts are more than a 1/4 inch going past the nut, think about filing those down once the bolt is on them. Also, drill the 3rd hole bigger if it wont fit.
17) Now just install the visor bolts with the brackets into the holes! And follow with installing the mirror.

And BOOM youre done!
Here is what the finished product should look like if you sticker bomb yours like i did.

^RIGHT SIDE

^LEFT SIDE. NOTICE THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM.

NO

BLIND

SPOTS!!!!

Its long i know, But worth it!

Comment your questions and comments! :D Thanks!

Last edited:

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Thanks dude!Only took me like 2 hours. Fun saturday project! And yeah the track loves these things :D

myxintegra

Extreme Music Addict
that's REALLY clean dude. :thumbs up awesome DIY. Seems like too much for me, I'd rather just get a broadway, but nice set up

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
the wink is boss, now get some fuzzy dice. im bringin em back :)

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Haha thanks guys! ^lol nice dude!

Yeah i mean it just trial and error with drilling the holes. Its really not that hard lol.

You guys need to step your game up. I have the wink and still have my factory sun visors and they're functional. :D

Good DIY though.

Prozon

Kris
^^ Lol.

Adding it to the list now. Good DIY.
I prefer to go mirrorless, my current DD doesn't have one. I lost it when I first got it. And the Integra's just fell off when I installed the new subs lol. Figured i'd keep it off. It's just a distraction. :)

mohawk42s

you can add a single window mount to the center and that will eliminate the vibration...just a thought to tack on the end of the DIY

EDIT: also it makes it easier to aim your Archimedes death ray :)

Last edited: