Drop the speed limit to 55mph and help fight terrorism, lower gas prices, help earth!

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Every 5mph you go over 60mph you lose 5-10% of your MPG! That’s like paying an extra $0.25-$0.50 per gallon at the gas station! Now, if we were to lower the national speed limit to 55pmh, we are talking about hundreds of thousands if not millions of barrels of oil saved daily just in the United States. This would in turn; lower out dependency on foreign oil, lower our green house emissions, and save everyone lots more money at the pump and at the stores. This happened back in 1973 during the oil embargo under the Nixon administration and I think we should do it again. Cheapest gas where I live is $4.10/gallon.
What are you guys willing to change for the betterment of our world? I've managed to only have to drive once a week to church now where before I was driving 3 to 4 times a week around town. Check out your local transportation services and see if it works for you! Try carpooling more or get that old bike of yours out and ride! Together, we can make some big changes but we all have to be on the same page. If you’d like to learn more about fuel efficiency, I wrote something up so that you can get upwards of 20%+ over the EPA MPG numbers for your car.
Learn to Hypermile!
If you have any questions, feel free to message me or post the question here on the thread, don't be afraid to bump the thread.
- Aaron

"2011, Americans consumed nearly 20 million barrels of oil per day while domestic production peaked at around 10 million barrels per day. The other 10 million barrels are imported."
- EIA.Gov

"In the year 2007, over 700 billion dollars flowed into OPEC from oil hungry countries around the world. How much of that money was given to support terrorist organizations?"
- American Energy Independence

"In 2010, a total of 10,395 deaths, or nearly a third of all motor vehicle fatalities, occurred in speed-related crashes. Based on a nationally representative sample of police-reported crashes, speeding – defined as exceeding the speed limit, driving too fast for conditions or racing – was involved in 16 percent of property-damage-only crashes and 20 percent of crashes with injuries or fatalities. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that the economic cost of speed-related crashes is more than $40 billion each year."
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety

Last edited:

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
Gas is a small price to pay to have fun :)

I'm coming from a 12 mpg gas guzzling RX8. Loved that car

blaketeg

I <3 Boost
Thats the worst idea I've heard, if we want to go 60mph and save gas, then we will.

I'm perfectly happy with the 65-70mph speed limits here

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
I see what you are saying, but I honestly dont think everyone would drop their speed to going 55 from 65 or whatever the speed limit is.

one thing I did like was this link:
http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2011/04/13/bsg_solar_panels_military_iraq.cnnmoney/?fb_ref=fbLike&fb_source=profile_multiline

makes sense to me. our world is too dependent on fossil fuels. unfortunately cars cant run on anything other then that right now, but I do agree that it sucks to be supporting other economy's so much while ours is diving down the hole.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheNailGuy

Yes im a NailTech
Thats the worst idea I've heard, if we want to go 60mph and save gas, then we will.

I'm perfectly happy with the 65-70mph speed limits here
x2 and yes the gas prices go up yeah we bitch and complain but we still have to buy it. if u want to save gas just drive less. like me :) i havent pumped my gas in 3 weeks lol

speedin

The Transporter
Terrible idea, 70mph is a stupid limit the ways cars are built today. As it was said before, if you want to go 55mph to save gas then fine, go 55, but dont force all of us to conform to what you want. Cars are a VERY small part of the oil consumption problem yet everyone just loves to blame them. Where you need to be pointing the finger is industry, there is your largest consumer/abuser/polluter.

98 Integra

Yeah I dont think it would work cause people are going to go how fast they want to. If you wanna do 55 then go for it but there is those times I like to get up 70-80 and just enjoy her :)

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
Texas is working on making some roads 85 :)

The House has approved it and the Senate is working on similar legistlation

speedin

The Transporter
Texas is working on making some roads 85 :)

The House has approved it and the Senate is working on similar legistlation
YES! Good.

Because if I was forced to drive 55mph down this road just to "help the environment" then id shoot myself in the damn foot! Then I could just blame going 90 on the fact of the bullet in my right foot ;)

If you want to save the environment there are much better ways. As far as lowering gas prices, sure they are high and yea it sucks. But do the math, in reality its still not terrible. Even with my car getting 22mpg's on average and assuming $4 a gallon, 1000 miles of driving only costs $180.

And for the whole funding terrorism deal, well ill just let that one speak for itself...

Last edited:

j13

Keep It Clean
"War Causes Inflation, and Inflation Allows the Government to start unnecessary wars."

Don't fix the leaking pipe by putting bubble gum on the hole. Go to the source! you need to spread the word, get people informed, and expose this wrong government!

speedin

The Transporter
wouldnt not using plastic save more oil than gas
Im sure, if we switched to bio plastics (already out there and being used) I bet we could drastically reduce oil consumption. Not to mention help the earth ALOT by having biodegradable plastics.