Battery died, screwed up alarm system, now car won't start

kadardes

my 1996 acura integra's battery died 2 days ago when an interior light was left on overnight.. the battery was old and needed to be replaced anyway but i tried jumping it 5 or so times.. the battery would charge and the headlights would not be dim but the car wouldn't even attempt to start (no clicking or anything). when the battery was dead, however, the car would make a clicking noise when i tried to start it. every time any of the doors are opened the alarm goes off.. the only way i was able to disable it was by attempting to start it (it would make the clicking noise and then eventually the alarm would turn off). today i replaced the battery and now the car still won't attempt to start. since the car won't even attempt to start i have no way to turn off the security system. i tried turning it off with the red button under the driver's side dash (the valet button?) and when i press the button.. nothing happens.. i'm pretty certain that the alarm is somehow disabling my starter or something.. anyone know how to turn the stupid thing off? i've tried everything..

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
unplug the power to the alarm. check for a back up battery if there is one. sounds like the ignition relay is still engaged by the alarm.

kadardes

where do i unplug it? what do you mean a backup battery? i just installed a new one (sorry i'm a newbie at this stuff)

seahtech

Battery failure can play some serious mind games with aftermarket alarms (and any electronic component in general). It could be very well possible that your ignition kill that comes with most aftermarket alarms is still engaged and not letting the vehicle start.

Are you not able to disarm it with your key fob, or whatever your specific alarm system uses?
You can try to find the alarm control unit box, usually black and located under the driver side dash somewhere. It will be like 3x3" and have a bunch of wires plugged into it. Unplug it and plug it back in, this should reset the control unit.

If this does not work and you still think the alarm is the problem you are going to need to remove the ignition kill part of the alarm and try it again.

With the alarm removed if it is still not starting now its time to move on to the starter side of the ignition process. Since your battery is brand new if all you hear when you try to start the car is a "click" noise your start has most likely failed. Have somebody take a stick (pry bar, 1/2" extension, broom handle lol etc) and tap on the starter while you try to turn the vehicle over.

hopefully something in all of that helps lol

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
where do i unplug it? what do you mean a backup battery? i just installed a new one (sorry i'm a newbie at this stuff)
hmmm, sounds like this is gonna be a tad tough for you. you will need to locate the module or the brain. just unplug the harness on the sucker, it should disable the kill relay for the ignition good luck.

oh and as for the back up battery, some alarms can add a small battery unit in case the main power is cut off.

McMahon

JackTuned
Bring it to a local shop (Not a chain like Best Buy).

kadardes

I was under my driver's side dash for a good 20 minutes or so trying to find the stupid thing.. I had someone go under my hood and wiggle the wire attached to the siren so I'd be able to find the alarm control thing.. I followed the wire and it led underneath a bunch of other wires and s*** that I can't really see into.. If I were to upload a picture would someone be able to point out what I'm supposed to disconnect?
EDIT: just wanted to say that I lost my key fob so all i have is a spare key (not the valet key)

Last edited:

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
i think you can bypass the alarm if you set it up correctly in valet mode. check your manual.

kadardes

Found the key fob.. as soon as I plugged in the battery the alarm started going off again.. I tried using the key fob a few times to turn off the alarm but nothing happened (the light on the key fob indicated it was working though).
Oddly enough my manual says nothing about an alarm system.. I've read through the entire thing twice in the last 2 days

<CleanNDirty>

its aftermarket so it wont be in car manual. Any additional manual/book come with car? If not find brand name on key fob and try and call them up and ask them. If not that then try disconnecting then reconnecting the battery. Might reset it

Replace battery in key fob, mine was strong enough to unlock doors but not strong enough to deactivate alarms. so my alarm always went off even tho i unlocked car.

Good luck dude

WAR 178

Premium User
Jiggle the keys in the ignition... Do you lock the steering wheel when the car is turned off? The integras tend to have a lil problem at times at that point on the column. Lock the wheel with the car off... then put the key in and play with the wheel by cutting it to the left or right all the way. Also play with the key fob(alarm) also play the starter tap route. G/L

gugiey

I Had this very same problem with my ITR .

i had to call a tow truck which used a rechargeable battery pack to eventually get my car started