Changing the bulb behind the rear defroster switch

Silky87

Silky 87
Is there an easy way to replace the bulb that illuminates the defroster switch, not rear defroster, along with the a/c and recirculator button?
Thanks

Last edited:

mirrorimg

The defroster button pops out of the console with some gentle prying with a flat head screwdriver. There will be two bulbs, one to illuminate the entire button, and another as an indicator that the defroster is engaged. You will more than likely have to order one of them straight through the dealer.

mjones73

And I believe those bulbs are different then the ones you asked about for the climate control which are also direct from the dealer parts.

To get to those, once you pry out the defrost and hazard switches, you'll see two philips head screws back in the dash, remove them without losing them in the dashboard. After that locate the temp control cable down under the passenger side dashboard. If you can't find it, move the temp control back and forth, you'll see it moving under there. Detach it from the heater box then you can pull the whole climate control assembly from the dash.

DWATTS5250

Well she looked 18!....
you can swap them with LEDs superbrightleds.com has them. theres a write up in here for them somewhere. I just did it in my teg, the HVAC one takes 4 leds and the haz & def take 1 each. watch out on prying the switches out, the clip is tight but the plastic nub that holds that clip is crap.
I used 3mm for the haz/def. and 4mm for the 4 HVAC. came out nice. still have a few issues with the 3mm being too tall for the switches.

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
wait so theres 2 lights in my defroster? I think they're both burnt out... So which ones should I keep green and which one to use to let me know its on? These lights are the worst thing ever :(

DANZA0421

So to keep it simple...what are the sizes that we need to replace the tiny bulb from the a/c AND defroster...from super bright led website

Last edited:

XslickwhitetegX

UKDM EXPERT
for defroster/hazzard bulbs you need get 2(two) 3mm NeoWedge Bulbs
If you want led for the rest of climate control all you need is 4(four) 4mm NeoWedge Series bulbs

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=56586
So to keep it simple...what are the sizes that we need to replace the tiny bulb from the a/c AND defroster...from super bright led website
Direct link is above ^ just do some reading.
so I thought the defroster switch used 2 bulbs... both of mine are completely burned out
I'm pretty sure it's just one, but it very well may be two

superhypered

(╯°□°)╯ ლ(ಠ_ಠ ლ)
sigh.. I guess I'll get some clothes on and take a look I suppose..

DO YOU RECOMMEND SINCE IM AT IT TO GET A REPLACEMENT RED LED FOR MY HAZARD JUST IN CASE IF IT WERE TO BLOW OUT THE NEXT DAY? thanks :)

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
I'll look tonight, but I've never had a light on there since I've owned the car so I assumed there wasnt one :what:

That one is up to you haha, never hurts to play it safe :thumbs up