93 integra, fully loaded WITH POOL!

Detman101

Da9 newbie
I don't know if this belongs in this forum or in another area, but I'd like a bit of advice on my trunk.
I checked the weatherstripping in the hatch and it had one tear that I sealed up with RTV sealant.
The seal worked but I'm getting water in the trunk still on the drivers side rear corner.

My suspicion is that it's either the gaskets on the rear lights (They get condensation in them so they could be the weak link) or the antenna hole.

Either way, it's raining cats and dogs out and the garage has too much crap in it to work in there.
So for now I'm bailing the water out of the trunk/pool with rags every 8-12 hours.

does anyone have any advice on fixing either of those? (the leaking antenna hole or leaking rear lights)
I'm going to get a tube of clear sealant for the time being and just go nuts with it til I hear back from you good people.

Thanks,
Dm

Charly[horse]

Name = John
I know a lot of people have this problem, I get it too but on the passenger side. From what I heard its the taillights and just buy some weatherstripping from a hardware store and redo the seals on them. I tried it and it didn't help a whole lot but I could've jus done it wrong lol but thats one option

deafman002

i had a 92 integra and i had a similar problem. if it puddles up just drill a hole in the bottom for a drain plug. I changed the rear lights all together and it was dry ever since.

Detman101

Da9 newbie
Yeesh, now I understand why these cars are such damn rustbuckets.
There's no way I have the equipment needed to drill a hole through the metal in the trunk.
:(

I'm going to completely fill and seal up the gap between the rear lights and car-body metal with clear RTV sealant and smooth it down from the outside.

The car just got a little more ghetto-fied...lol.

EDIT: Hey Deafman, what rear lights did you change to to get rid of this issue?
I may have to do that because the "RTV sealed" look is not kewl.

=\
Dm

Jabes

you should be able to go to acura and get new tail light gaskets thats usually what leaks. or the sunroof drain tubes if you have a sunroof

Detman101

Da9 newbie
Sunroof drain tubes?
Let me guess...they drain into the trunk?

lol,
Dm

Detman101

Da9 newbie
*sigh* sometimes I wonder...
If I 'd have just bought a new car I'd have had 6 months worth of payments for the money I've already put into this car (with purchase price).

=[
Dm

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
On my 3rd gen, the tailights leaked. I got new gaskets and that didn't do anything. So I went to home depot, and got some self sticking weather stripping foam. I used it to make a circle around the outside of the hole where the tailights meet the trunk, seam at the bottom, then put the new gaskets on and put the tails in. Cranked it in, haven't had a single leak in my trunk since, I used to get a ton of water in there.

Detman101

Da9 newbie
lol nah they're supposed to drain to the ground but they're behind the rear plastics and when they get clogged they just push the water out at the top hole and go into the trunk instead. they say here that you can just use 3m weatherstripping tape http://forums.g2ic.com/showthread.php?64787-Taillight-gasket-replacement-heads-up&highlight=trunk might work and be cheaper than the gaskets
Awesome!!

This is exactly what I will try when I get the money for the foam.

Thenoxus1 said:
On my 3rd gen, the tailights leaked. I got new gaskets and that didn't do anything. So I went to home depot, and got some self sticking weather stripping foam. I used it to make a circle around the outside of the hole where the tailights meet the trunk, seam at the bottom, then put the new gaskets on and put the tails in. Cranked it in, haven't had a single leak in my trunk since, I used to get a ton of water in there.
Did yours come out like in that photo? I can't tell if the sticky foam is stuck to the gasket or if it's stuck to the tail-light plastic back....

:???:
Dm

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
The photo in my mobile uploads in facebook shows the one taillight out of it. I stuck the weatherstripping onto the metal where the taillight meets the body. Then installed the light and gasket as I normally would.

Detman101

Da9 newbie
The photo in my mobile uploads in facebook shows the one taillight out of it. I stuck the weatherstripping onto the metal where the taillight meets the body. Then installed the light and gasket as I normally would.
Awesome!
Thanks!

EDIT: Holy guacamole....which album is the pic in, there's a bunch but no dedicated car album?

Dm

Last edited:

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC

You can see on the right how it's weatherstripped. I try not to load a lot of pics because someone will steal it lol

Detman101

Da9 newbie

You can see on the right how it's weatherstripped. I try not to load a lot of pics because someone will steal it lol

Okay, now I get it.
Thanks for the pic explanation.
You can remove it if that's kewl, I know where I need to put the weatherstrip now.
Man I wish walmart took paypal.
Hmmm....maybe buy online and pick up at store...nothing beats a try!

wish me luck!

Dm