Check Out Your VIN For Free

drevans_satx

Dylan
Alright folks recently I've stumbled upon a way to check your VIN number for free.
It uses Autocheck, which is pretty much CarFax.
What I assume happened is this dealership got a 1 year sub, or maybe unlimited sub to this site and embedded it in their own website. Either way this stuff actually works lol.

1. copy and paste this into your browser 'http://www.northcitymotors.com/autocheck.aspx?vin='
minus the quotes of course.
2. see where the '=' sign is? type in your vin number in ALL CAPS. Ex: 'http://www.northcitymotors.com/autocheck.aspx?vin=JH4DC200000001542'
3. Hit enter
4. ???
5. Profit?

Hopefully this will help out with people buying or even selling their cars. It was pretty interesting learning my R was originally from a town in Alabama that's only twice the size of my property. (town is 74 acres).

Last edited:

cody1018

Thats awesome!!
No incidents but now I know why it has a Salvage title. And it was due to a Lien sale(Title comapny) filed for the title and they could only give it up as salvage =(((
But mine has been only Nor Cal (Woop Woop)

Last edited:

R13

The other asshole
My car spent 3 years as a salvage car, How the hell did it survive?

R13

The other asshole
Original owner bought my car march 7th 97 then drove it till 08 where it was in a crash and has changed through the hands of salvage yards until I got it.... :(

drevans_satx

Dylan
I'm not demanding this become a sticky or anything, but this is pretty useful info for anyone looking to buy/sell a car. Especially within the forum in the FS thread. The site has been working for at least 6 months prior to now, so I'm not sure if the VIN checks will stay free forever or if time is almost up...get em while you can.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Holy crap, They have the history of my camaro :shock: .....
Haha it works just like Carfax. So every car...well mostly every car should have somewhat of a history.

I'm pretty sure I can't look up my father's model T and get a check on it.

R13

The other asshole
I think this should be a sticky.

My camaro was stolen in 86 stripped and left to die in a junk yard till 05 then I got it in 06. the speedo still shows the 80k miles it had when it was stolen :cry:

drevans_satx

Dylan
poor poor bro-maro...only 80k...

Sometimes I wonder what it was like back in the day. In the 80's you worried about your Camaro getting stolen, now I worry about my Honda going missing. Personally I'd rather steal a nice big beefy camaro over a Honda Civic...or even an Integra.

R13

The other asshole
It had black leather interior... And it was #306 of the first 500 5 speed manuals

I wanna go in the garage and hug it now.