Cam seal question

Shani_Bhai

So I am replacing my cam seal when doing my timing belt job. I need to correct? I plan on buying billet cam seals (blox racing) My second question is do they require a cam seal cap after installation? If so does anybody know if the OEM cam seal plug fits on them. BTW its for a 96 GSR

dlo253

It replaces the funky plastic one all together. I make and sell cnc billet Cam seals for $10 + shipping.. :thumbs up

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Whats a cam seal cap? Isnt a cam seal the one on the timing belt side between the block and the cam gear? The billet plug people usually buy is called a cam plug i think. Some call it a cam cap maybe? Since you mentioned a billet one though im guessing you are talking about the cam plug. I replaced mine years ago with a triple o ring billet cam plug that is supposed to outlast the oem plastic one but mine started to leak after about 3 years. Only slightly but a leak is a leak and if its gonna leak after 3-4 years i might as well stick to the oem part. And once you install one you dont put anything else on top of it.

dlo253

Cam plug cam seal, either way I guess. Everyone I know says cam seal. Cam caps are the things that hold the cam in place, under the valve cover.

Shani_Bhai

Hmm ok thanks for the feedback. Damn yours started leaking after 3 years? Shit who knew OEM rubber outlasted the billet aluminum.

dlo253

Wouldn't know til I hit the post office, but the last one I sent it came out just under $13 shipped. Shoot me a pm if you Are interested.

dlo253

Hmm ok thanks for the feedback. Damn yours started leaking after 3 years? s*** who knew OEM rubber outlasted the billet aluminum.
Definitely wasn't the aluminum it out lasted. It was probly due to o-rings. Improper design specs to begin with possibly. Or maybe not using rtv, or torquing the cam cap correctly.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
It was a blox aluminum cap. Torqued to spec and hondabond was used. The o rings they used probably suck. I know this isnt the case with all of them but that experience is a poor one for me having paid more and not had a better result.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
What do u do once a billet one starts leaking? Replace o rings or buy a new one? The real question here is, is replacing o rings on a billet plug recommended?

dlo253

Just gotta measure the current o-rings that are on em.... silicone or viton are recommended. Because they can handle MORE than enough heat. I notice other companies use fat o-rings. I recommend getting the same kind That come with mine if You buy from me. It is all meant to work together, with mine anyways.