what kind of HIDs to get?

jayyjayy88

LOoking to get HIDs, Debating with 8k or 6k. I've read that you get the most out of 6k HIDs cause of our headlight housing or something, not sure. Pretty much saying it wont make much of a difference if I go with 8k or 6k. However I like the 8k cause it has that blue in it. Already know where I'm going to go (local shop), just want to know which to get 8k or 6k? If I'm going to get the most out of them with a 6k mine as well go with those, but to me HIDs are HIDs, just different colors.

TheSkygun

our projectors werent meant for hids so they wont have that clean cutoff that hid projectors have, unless you retro fit but doesnt sound like you care for that.

depends on ballasts you use too, 55w will put out more light but wash out some color. 35w will have more color but not as much output of light

also 6000k bulbs are closer to white light(visible) and with a tint of blue in a 35w ballast but whiter in a 55w ballast
8000k in a 35w ballast are really blue as for in a 55w ballast they are bluish tint with good lighting (i had 55w ballasts with 8000k bulbs and i personally liked it a lot).

but the color output ranges on the companies, i have seen the same 8000k rated bulbs from different companies all have different intensities of blue as do ballasts with companies too.

if you want the most for seeing with then i would say 55w ballast with 6000k bulbs
decent amount of blue with decent lighting 55w ballast with 8000k bulbs
some blue tint then 35w ballast 6000k bulbs
blue tint 35w ballast with 8000k bulbs

renarudo

Retrofit would be best. However if your in a rush just get 35w 4300k or 5000k for your lows and that is more than enough. I had 6ks for a little bit...but I'd rather not get the fix it ticket for that and wanted to keep the maximum visiblilty/output. Now that I've cleaned up headlights, they look even whiter. Just my .02.

jayyjayy88

our projectors werent meant for hids so they wont have that clean cutoff that hid projectors have, unless you retro fit but doesnt sound like you care for that.

depends on ballasts you use too, 55w will put out more light but wash out some color. 35w will have more color but not as much output of light

also 6000k bulbs are closer to white light(visible) and with a tint of blue in a 35w ballast but whiter in a 55w ballast
8000k in a 35w ballast are really blue as for in a 55w ballast they are bluish tint with good lighting (i had 55w ballasts with 8000k bulbs and i personally liked it a lot).

but the color output ranges on the companies, i have seen the same 8000k rated bulbs from different companies all have different intensities of blue as do ballasts with companies too.

if you want the most for seeing with then i would say 55w ballast with 6000k bulbs
decent amount of blue with decent lighting 55w ballast with 8000k bulbs
some blue tint then 35w ballast 6000k bulbs
blue tint 35w ballast with 8000k bulbs

What is ballast?

After thinking about it, I just want plain white. I saw blues on my friends truck and yeah looks good on his but I just want that clean white.

What is retro mean? How do you do that? I mine as well do it right if I'm going to do it.

TheSkygun

a ballast is what goes from your stock wire harness to the hid bulb to power it. you need them to use the hid bulbs. ill see if i have a picture somewhere of them

a retrofit is three things to start: 1) not cheap...i spent around 300 bucks to get what i needed to mine on my own.
2) a retro fit is taking your head lights, opening them up, and using the hids of another car (like an audi or acura tl for example) and taking their hid projector, and placing (moding to fit) into your headlight housing.
3) totally worth the work to do and best output youll get.

this is my link on how to do a retrofit http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=83367
you can google it and visit hidplanet.com for more info on them

Last edited:

TheSkygun

:p
retrofit output

this is a bad picture because my projectors where tilted badly

Last edited:

jayyjayy88

Retrofit would be best. However if your in a rush just get 35w 4300k or 5000k for your lows and that is more than enough. I had 6ks for a little bit...but I'd rather not get the fix it ticket for that and wanted to keep the maximum visiblilty/output. Now that I've cleaned up headlights, they look even whiter. Just my .02.
What do you mean by maximum visibility? What do you have now since you got rid of your 6k?