Motor Oil question?

NoodLeMan416

Sonic Fucking BOOM
I don't know if anyone will know the answer to this question but here it goes. My Dad has heard stories of people filtering their old synthetic motor oil and reusing it. So we were wondering if that is ok to do? I'm sure there are plenty of ways to get it clean but what about the viscosity?

Can dirty oil be filtered and resused or is it a bad idea?

Let me know what you guys think.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm going to say that is a bad idea. Oil isn't so expensive that it is worth finding out the hard way

Oil is much cheaper than replacing bearings and whatnot.

Or he may be reffering to the fact that some sythetic oils only require changing every 5000 miles or so. So some people will just run them that long but just change the filter halfway through the oils cycle. I personally would do neither.

Last edited:

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
im pretty sure most oil get refined again but why bother doing it yourself. you'll probabaly lose the effects of the additives anyways. IMO that's why we have companys that give you good shit. haha.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
Go spend the $20 on oil and not $2000 on a new engine

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
lol. we know you're not complaining. cheesenip learned first hand that's why he sounds so angry.

Cheesenip

I <3 2.4l's
5w30 Mobile 1, full synthetic for the srt with an oem oil filter

on the 97..im goin to run the oil you get at 711

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Speaking of which, it's about time to change the oil in my GSX. That shit is expensive. It takes 7 damn quarts of Mobil1 synthetic

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Yeah. That's something fierce!

I have a 6.25qt. Moroso oil pan. .5" thick adapter plate (oilpan is for a 6bolt 4G63) and an oil cooler. So 7 quarts is right on the money

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I change mine every 5000k miles with mobil 1 10w-30 and oem cartridge. I've seen my oil after 5k and it looks fine so i'm not going to change it any sooner. I would never try to filter any oil and I would never run non-synthetic past 3000k.