s2000 cluster project

plummo_vtec

VSS is working very very very smooth. From 2km/h up to 300km/h... Although I was only able to do real life tests from 0 km/h to 200 km/h. (While 120 km/h is the speed limit on our freeways LOL)

ECT is also tested and working properly from a functional point of view. I'm now setting up the Voltage vs. Bars table in the ECT converter software to have a nice 3 or 4 segments lit, when the engine is at it's normal operation temperature. So the things that are to be done now, are finetuning of the software.

And when really everything is ready, I'm going to pull out the 93C56 from the cluster and reprogram the ODO meter to match my current ODO. I need to set it from 38.000 to 233.000 km's :D Leaving it at 300km/h for a few days would take way to long to add 200.000 km's to the ODO :D
Oh... and I need to find out if the 93c56 is programmed in 8bit or 16bit mode. Will let you know....

Brilliant mork my man cant wait for combined write ups, will you be taking requests for specific functions?

orthello

The Dutch Guy
I don't think so.
From my pojnt of view I want to create a BASIC write up with the minimum that is needed to have VSS and ECT working. The absolute minimum are the signal specs. Which are already mentioned in this topic.
VSS should be multiplied by approx. 39.

ECT specs: ECT is PWM-ish. (not real PWM) 30ms high pulse, and a 150ms to 1500ms low pulse. Short is hot, long is cold. And everything in between. This is all you need to know.

But I wil create some basic schematics which can be used as a starting point.

It will be a write up which expects a certain level of knowledge with electronics and micro controlers.

I posted a schematic (debouncing and decoupling should be added in that one) and a very first version of software in this topic... a few pages back.

Last edited:

konerri

if you need the analog value to temperature voltage/temperature correclation. let me know and i will let u have what i have.

orthello

The Dutch Guy
I already found one.
There was a table in this topic. I think you made that one.
And DS Customs had a nice graph with all the info. (before it went offline and moved to modifry ;) )

But thanks!!

I'm going home in about 60 minutes. ECT is wired, and has new parameters. See what it does.
I still have a times 2 multiplier active to have a full scale reading. Just for test purpose. (to have full reading at 1 volt in stead of 0.5 volt)
If today goes fine, I'll remove the doubler to see what it'll do in real.

Last edited:

orthello

The Dutch Guy
Update and some modifications.

After finishing the test hardware for ECT I experienced nervous readings again when the headlights (or other heavy users) were turned on. It (again) seemed that the ground of the cigaret lighter isn't the most stable one.

So I decided to connect the ECT converter to the 5v and 0v of the TPS sensor. This works perfect! stable readings, very very few electronic parts are needed. Basicly....
microcontroler, 2 caps and a crystal for the clock pulse. And nothing more. Straight T tap for the ECT input and een straight connection to the S2000 ECT wire. And it works perfect.

I decided to split the VSS and ECT converters. the VSS converter will be put at the back of the S2000 cluster. The ECT converter will be at the ECU.

After a few days and km's of testing this turns out to be the best way to solve this issue. And... probably this is also the reason that modifry has two seperate converters.
How Mark Lamond solved this... I'm not sure. I haven't seen any work he has done.

But... my own work is very promissing. Now I have time to do some PCB changes. Because I have to wait for the microcontrolers to arrive. *SIGH*

To be continued... but the end is near!!!

konerri

the 16f877a should be able to do both. but it all in the timing of everything. that's what i am stuck on. Two modulos is a waste of components.

orthello

The Dutch Guy
it's cheaper to have two small controlers, then having one big fat 16f877a from a upic point of view.
Besides.... the 16f877a is my dev controler. I don't want to use that in a final version of a project.

It indeed should be possible to do both at the same time with only a 16f877a but I'm still not that experienced with upics. Another issue in this case is that I'm writing my stuff in picbasic because I'm not familiar with ASM at all. I find ASM very intimidating at this moment. Don;t forget this is my first upic project and I learned all the stuff myself. (With some basic electronics knowledge) , And as we all know... (pic)basic consumes pretty much CPU time. I'm thinking of moving to C though.

Well... at least my goal is reached. One way ot another... I made it. And I'm proud of it.

Coolest thing of all..... spread the news and be clear about the signal specs. Something all the other didn't do :D

orthello

The Dutch Guy
SPAM ALERT :D

100 bucks for vss converter? then I saved myself 90 bucks for the vss converter.

what does an ect converter cost? 70 bucks? then I saved another 60 bucks.

so I saved 150 bucks and I have learned a lot of cool new things..... priceless :D

;)

Last edited:

yeahsirb16

well i messaged you and people everywhere to get one vss convertor lol
hell dc custom cost like what 180 and 70 for the temp convertor

how can i get a temp convertor like yours!!
like how did you get yours or make it or whatever

orthello

The Dutch Guy
With some patience you'll get one to be made yourself.
I'm in the process of finishing the final things. ECT is tested and approved by me. VSS is tested and approved by me.
I'm now working on an final version of the hardware. When this is in the car and running fine I'll make a write up how to build the converters yourself.

orthello

The Dutch Guy
I found some cool stuff to have access to the 93C56 without removing from the cluster!!!
There is a 'connector' next to the 93C56 with direct connections to all the pins of the 93C56.

Pins are little bit shuffled, bur all direct connected.

I will post exact specs tonight.

orthello

The Dutch Guy
Red: Chip Select [CS] pin 1
Green: Serial Data Clock [CLK] pin 2
Light Blue: Serial Data Input [DI] pin 3
Dark Blue: Data Output [DO] pin 4

Pink: Power Supply [VCC] pin 8 & pin 6 (indicating EEPROM is used in 16 bit mode)
Yellow: Ground [VSS] pin 7 & pin 5

Makes it easier to reprogram this EEPROM (ODO and mile/km select button)

Last edited: