1989 Integra 1.6L won't start

earljj

Hello - my son's 1989 Integra died suddenly on the way home from school. I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor but it still won't start. I am getting at least some spark to the plugs as my OTC Spark Plug Voltage Tester is reading 9KV when I turn over the engine. Also, I smell gas when I try to start the car but have not yet checked the fuel pressure. One of my concerns is that inside the new dist. cap I measure about 5000 ohms between the long pin that connects to the coil and the pin that rests on the rotor. Is this normal? Could the new cap be bad? Shouldn't it be zero resistance? Any ideas of other things to check? Thanks for any help.

earljj

Update to my 1989 Acura that Won't Start post

Apparently the 5000 ohm resistance in the dist. cap is normal. I checked it on another new cap. One website suggested I might have a bad main relay or ignition ignitor. My coil tests OK as far as the resistance checks. I have yet to check the relay and I understand it is difficult for the do it yourselfer to check the ignitor. Any more insight would be appreciated.