1990 Integra won't hold a charge

SnD3

Ok so I have a 1990 Integra and it is having some power issues. If it sits for to long it loses power and you have to charge the battery to get it to start again. We thought it might of been the alternator, so we had it rebuilt. But it lasted a week and started doing the same thing again. Anyone have any ideas as to what might be causing this?

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
If the battery is old it wont hold a charge for long. Also some alarm system will over time drain the battery. Does your headunit draw power when the car is off?

SnD3

If the battery is old it wont hold a charge for long. Also some alarm system will over time drain the battery. Does your headunit draw power when the car is off?
The battery is brand new. No alarm system in the car. And the head unit doesnt draw power while the car is off.

sexystover

do you have a volt meter? check for paracidic draw while the cars off

SnD3

The only way the battery would drain while the car is off is if something is drawing power from it.
Could it be the power lead from the battery to the alternator? The cable is a bit corroded so maybe it needs a new one?

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Maybe. It could be losing power by trying to get through all the corrosion. Clean it off and see what happens.

SnD3

Maybe. It could be losing power by trying to get through all the corrosion. Clean it off and see what happens.
The corrosion is on the inside, under the sleeve. We've tried cleaning it off the best we can but there is still a bit of it on there. Should I just get a new one and see if its the problem? And if so, how much do they cost?

SnD3

I'm not sure how much it would cost. If you can find one for what you consider a decent price try it.
where would a good place be to look for one? and does it have a specific name other then the cable that leads from the battery to the alternator?

mirrorimg

Its just a wire. Any cable 8GA or thicker will do. I think the stock wire is 8GA, but I may be mistaken.

sexystover

before doing all that buy a cheap voltmeter or borrow one and check paracidic loss while the car is off and battery voltage while the car is running