1990 Teg with a bunch of weird issues... Need oppinions

600_Dollar_Teg

So, here it is... bought a 90 integra for 600 dollars...
Its a 1990 LS, with what I think all stock B18a1 with 5 speed manual.
they wanted to spray pain almost everything under the hood silver... and a horrible job at it too >.>

I am burning a quart and oil every 800-1200 miles... this was found out by over 7000 miles of travel in the past month alone. I have only had the car for about a month... It was bought in Salt Lake city, and registered in southern Oregon, but I am currently in florida visiting family for the holidays.

On the way I had to change the distributor and fuel filter. Before and after that (which was in Oklahoma city) the car was a different animal, much smoother, better gas milage, etc...

But, I do still burn oil every 800-1200 miles... So I ran a compression test, and my numbers are, from closest cylinder to the Dizzy, to the furthest 190-230-190-210... From what I understand, the 190's are fine, but the 230 and 210s are a little high... the 230 after every night, has a visible pool of oil in the chamber when I pull the spark plug, with the spark plug compeletly covered to and through the threads... the first 190 looks dry, and is the only "dry" cylinder and spark plug... the other 2 have oils on the threads with the 210 whole looking more oily and the 2nd 190...

It seems to me my piston rings and head gasket are most likely fine, and I have a bit of a valve seal leak problem, which would, (in my understanding, please correct if I am wrong), explain both the oily chambers/plugs, and the higher compression (because the oil would take up space in the dry cylinder).

I lost water (mysteriously)... At first it was real bad, every few hundred miles having to refill the water completely (another reason why I conducted the previously mentioned compression test, I thought I had a bad gasket at this point)... Did a brand of stop leak, no good... until eventually, 2 or 3 different coolant system hoses went bad, replaced them, and now i lose much less water than before, but... I still lose water mysteriously... Also anther oddity about the coolant system, is my coolant reservoir is FULL... but it never pulls from the reservoir... and when i refill my coolant i have to fill it at the radiator cap, other wise i will run dry, even though the reservoir IS full... I do not know why that is... I cant say i see white smoke coming out of the Tail pipe, and i don't really see any coolant on the ground under my car... Odd yes, oppinions would be good...

Next the transmission... If i am right, i have an S1 tranny? (noted by the gold sticker right where it meets the engine, next to the engines b18A1 mark)

at first it was smooth shifting, but now, occasionally, i have to force it into first, and it will grind into reverse (only occasionally) i haven't changed the manual tranny oil, i know that i should... Also, the tranny ticks (or more of a flick noise) on acceleration under load... not under reverse, or revving with a load... just acceleration under load... Tick is directly related in intensity to RPMs, and once i am coasting or going even speed/rpm, the tick is gone... but i feel like the tick becomes louder as time goes on... could just be me though... any ideas on what that is?

My cruise doesn't work... the button lights up, but its either the actuator, or in the steering wheel (which is held together by electrical tape...

Another odd thing about my car is this... in 5th gear... at 45 mph, i am 2000 rpm... at 55 im at 25, and 60 im at 3000 rpm, at 70 im at 3500...
I feel like those RPM numbers, are a way high for the speed i am going (in a traditional stock, unmodified car) i was wondering why... and if its fixable, what do i need to do? (The other gear numbers arnt that great, 3k at 10 or 15 in first, 3500 in 2nd at 25 or 30, etc...) is this normal gear range?

no a/c, the previous owners ripped it out... i cant tell if my power steering is going out... intermitten hard to steer, gets stuck, but quickly cleans out.

Oppinons, help, knowledge and information. Should i rebuild, swap? fix? drive until dead and leave it at that, or what? 600 dollar integra, 1990 ls, with an electrical wiring issue that has caught fire once... 207500 miles at this point... and i put 7000+ in about a month...

All ideas, oppinons, etc will be greatly appreciated and considered... I am on a budget... i virtually have no money to do what needs to be done, so the most cost effective, but reliable and sound ideas are needed, i can figure out cost as i go... yeah?

Hkddc

About the High RPM in 5th gear. It's just a low geared transmission. It's perfectly normal. I didn't read the rest I will later maybe

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Got through the first few paragraphs:

Wet spark plugs most likely from you needing new valve cover seals.

I'd try and figure out where your coolant is going. If you're having to put fluids in that much while driving it's wasting money. Also replace the trans fluid, any noise left is just worn parts, don't worry about it.

Aside from those fixes I would just drive it until it dies. Unless it's in some immaculate condition cosmetically and then if you like it it's up to you.

Last edited: