1991 Integra full project car opinions

MCastaneda0501

So my brother is giving me his DA9 as a graduation present. I dont graduate for another year so me and him are going to completely strip the interior, motor, trans, etc. The DA9 is going to be completely a shell. He is going to put 5G's down on parts and I got the rest pretty much.

I have been working with my bro in his shop for a while and been helping my pops and other brothers with projects. (Like my bro did a 3sgte swap into his MR2 or replacing the intake manifold, turbo, intercooler on EVO9)
I have some wrenching experience, but my family is going to be sort of over my shoulder on this process making sure i dont fck up obviouslly.
I really want your guys's insight and potential ideas for my car.

I wanna know what engine would be recommended for my budget. (Im leaning towards a b18c1 but open to opinions and ideas)
I also wanna know your guys's opinion if i should boost the engine or not. (i want to boost but im not sure if many of you guys will recommend it)
If i should dump the car or not.
Want to know if electrical is going to be a bitch and etc.
If you guys have any insight on interior and upholstery and body work.
Also adding an alarm, what brand you recommend and difficulty of installation.
And also what i can do on overhauling the engine to get a little more HP.

Im trying to make the car a daily, but if a guy running a 90 mustang tries to take me on the freeway my integgy will eat his car up.

Thanks for reading it was greatly appreciated. Please and thanks for your responces :D
-1st time member Marcus!

2kdb7

O how I miss my da :( if you are wanting to boost from what I've read ur looking at 5k for a good setup. And gsr swaps go for around 1.5k. Have you looked into ls/vtec? You are already halfway there. As far as interior I had g3 (94-01) interior which was pretty cheap to do and matched well with the car gave it a updated look but still stock. That's my 2 cents welcome and good luck.

MCastaneda0501

Thanks so much! N i have looked at LS/Vtec. GSR vs LS/Vtec goes on forever lol i dont really know which would be better per say but i think that both are fast builds. And for interior all of the floorings and seats mount ?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
LS/Vtec would be a better option as it gives you the benefit of vtec but also maintains the lower compression ratio which is more favorable for boosting applications. The LS block is far better with torque so when you add the valve timing aspect of vtec you can't go wrong...

i would suggest upgrading your internals if you want to run serious boost tho. you would want to get forged rods etc... just google ls/vtec and you should find a plethora of info on how to do this...

MCastaneda0501

LS/Vtec does seem more practical because I am half way there like 2kdb7 said. But is it all that reliable? I know its going to be fast, but will it last just as long as a b18c1? Like if i do oilchanges and timing and etc all at the same time?

Last edited:

2kdb7

It's just as reliable as any other motor as long as you build it correctly and don't take any shortcuts. Don't cheap out on anything and do your homework. I keep seeing a saying on here: cheap, fast, or reliable you only can have 2.
And on the interior I just swapped the seats the rest was in decent shape if you are needing more surf craigslist

MCastaneda0501

Alright well LS/Vtec is definetly back on the table now. If I go LS/Vtec im going to upgrade all the internals (rods, pistons etc.) What brand do you guys recommend? Im hearing Skunk is good and reliable

ProjectTeg

Integra's FTMFW
It depends.. you can run a smaller turbo for a fast spool, but IMO NA will always have a better response time. But with boost you can also make a shit ton of power :D

Sent from my phone.

MCastaneda0501

I know with a turbo there is obviously lag. And NA just has to wait for VTec. But if I supercharge it won't I get the best of both worlds? A little extra horses for higher speed and a faster response than turbo

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
And I also am curious. NA vs Super Charged vs Boosted. Which would be better for fast responce.
The most responsive engines are N/A, but are insanely expensive to build and make a lot of power. Built N/A vtec motors don't really have to wait for vtec in the high rpms if they have enough low rpm power and torque, but it gets expensive.

Turbochargers will give you the absolute most power. The more air that goes into the engine, the more that comes out, the turbo spins faster and puts more air in, and you get more out etc. Turbo builds are relatively cheap but they will come with turbo lag. The larger the turbo, the higher rpms to spool, the more lag you get, but you get more power.

Turbo high compression engine will be more responsive than a low compression turbo engine, as it will make more low rpm power. They also require a smaller turbo and less boost pressure to make the same amount of power as a low compression turbo engine with a larger turbo. You will therefore get less turbo lag and a much larger effective rpm range for the turbo. These builds are usually really expensive to do also.

Twin turbo will use a small turbo to give some low rpm power, and a much larger turbo to give the max power high up in the rpm range. These are effective builds because they maintain the max power from the larger turbo while cutting down the overall turbo lag time with the smaller turbo. You will still have a small effective rpm range for max power, similar to a large single turbo, but they provide a larger total boost range.

Superchargers will give you the most low range power. They provide instant boost pressure and much more low rpm power any turbo can produce. They are limited in the power they can produce by the size of the compressor pulley. The turbochargers will provide much more high rpm range power.

The final choice is up to you, and based on what you want to get from your car. A powerful N/A build for 5k is out of the question. High power N/A builds are out of your price range.

MCastaneda0501

A supercharger seems ideal for my situation. Itll help with my low RPMs and VTec for the higher RPMs. Might not have the HP that a turbo has, but I can upgrade my internals and exhaust and etc. to get a little more power