1991 Integra GS possible Tranny noise

floorman101

Hello,
I found this posted in another forum and My sons '91 Integra has the same noise. The noise is pretty loud

Now the problem, there is a noise, as if a fan motor is running but dragging
or as if hitting something, or as if a pump is running but cavitating. The
noise comes from the right side as if from the transaxle. It's relatively
loud and can be heard from inside the car. It is intermittent but at regular
intervals but only does it when the car is moving or will complete the cycle
when stopped but never start until the car is moving again. When driving the
sound never speeds up/down and is consistent in all gears. The transmission
shifts smooth and solid

The a/c is off and it is not the cooling fans.

Please help, I have worked on my cars since i was 16 but have never heard anything like this

Ganyon

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say that maybe its a wheel bearing? Maybe not. Not entirely sure.

floorman101

Ganyon,
Thanks for the reply, but definitely not the wheel bearing.
The noise sounds like its coming from the area where the Motor and tranny are joined

My son also mentioned that the ABS light comes on at times but not sure if this is associated with the noise we are hearing

floorman101

Its a really strange noise, sounds serious
the car has an automatic trans

i am really bumfoozled on this one

Ganyon

It just hit me. Could be the abs unit buzzing, but then again I think it would do it even when stopped. Hmmm.

The_818_Boi

Keep It JDM Bruhh!
Hahaha What A Coincidence! I have the exact problem on 91 GS! Its also AUTO. Its probably the ABS going bad... I was just looking through the forums and found the answer. Just pull the ABS fuse on fuse box under the hood by the intake. The noise starts mostly when I start the car and last about 4 mins until the ABS light turns on.

Zachc6464

My abs went on so i pulled the fuse to get the light off but sometimes when i start the car i get the buzz for like 2 seconds.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
It just hit me. Could be the abs unit buzzing, but then again I think it would do it even when stopped. Hmmm.
I think you nailed it. The ABS unit needs to pressurize and it will do so when the car is turned on or after very heavy breaking. When the seals inside the ABS unit begin to fail, it will pressurize more often. Bad seals in the unit are also attributed to a loud buzzing sound when the unit pressurizes.

Try removing the main ABS fuse and try to duplicate the sound you are hearing.
If the sound stops happening then the ABS unit is on its way out. ABS repairs are usually pretty expensive.
If the sound continues to happen then it is obviously not the problem.

Shift.Kitt

I think you nailed it. The ABS unit needs to pressurize and it will do so when the car is turned on or after very heavy breaking. When the seals inside the ABS unit begin to fail, it will pressurize more often. Bad seals in the unit are also attributed to a loud buzzing sound when the unit pressurizes.

Try removing the main ABS fuse and try to duplicate the sound you are hearing.
If the sound stops happening then the ABS unit is on its way out. ABS repairs are usually pretty expensive.
If the sound continues to happen then it is obviously not the problem.
Pretty sure you guys are right. Luckily for him, ABS parts for Integras are moderately reasonable compared to other cars.

floorman101

All,
Thanks for the help, I checked with a stethoscope and found it is coming from ABS pump, pulled the relay and the sound is gone
Now just to find the parts, i checked a local auto supply here that usually has everything but they cannot even get the parts

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Best place to look for parts will be from part-outs or junkyards. You will probably have to find another unit and rebuild it, replacing all the seals/o-rings. I've heard that shops will charge a few thousand to repair the ABS systems.

Might be best to just get used to not having ABS.