1992 gsr won't start

sleeper_92

on my way home from work the other day when i came to a stoplight the rpm's would drop and pick up then eventually die. the starter would drag and eventually start then after 2 or 3 times of doing this it was dead. i left and came back for it and finally got it started and got it home and it hasn't started since. the relay for the starter is clicking, it's getting fuel to the injectors, the battery is up. is there something im missing?

red.line

I've heard of people who have had this happen and ended up flooding their engine with fuel..hopefully that's not the case.
As for the initial problem..not sure.

Ominous G2

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐
I noticed that you didn't check to see if you had a spark. ICM could have gone out, possibly the coil which usually does

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
I noticed that you didn't check to see if you had a spark. ICM could have gone out, possibly the coil which usually does
Sounds like the most likely culprit to me.

93tegger

Im a noob, could be way off- but id run a compression test and make sure you dont have a sticky piston

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
sounds like the ignitor to me.

since you said the relay's etc. are clicking, and its getting fuel, sounds to me like it isn't getting spark.

if you want to do it on the cheap, just pull the distributor cap off and check the rotor and its respective contact points. if they are corroded, just get a new cap/rotor. might fix the problem, and be as simple as that. its a 5 minute fix and should only cost about $30. too easy and cheap to NOT try. worth a shot.

perhaps you need new plugs, also. a good tune-up is definitely in order.

replace the following and you SHOULD be good to go.

*distributor (new cap and rotor, too) *may not need to replace the entire distributor, but if you don't know if its ever been replaced, why not? it'll cost some grip, but you want it running nice and strong, don't you?
****Don't buy any Autozone, Advance Auto, O'Reilly, Kragen, etc. do it right. order OEM. will cost more, but its guaranteed to be much better.****
*new plugs (recommend NGK plugs)
*new plug wires (again, NGK is suggested)
*check your ignition timing (correct as needed)

I've been on this "no starting boat" before, and got all the kinds worked out. it was all relay and ignition switch issues for me, though. regular tune-ups (cap/rotor, plugs, wires, etc.) have kept me from having spark problems.

give it a shot and feel free to ask again if needed.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
lol don't just say no to autozone and stuff... dont' get the generic shit.. get the good shit. bosch and acdelco and that kind of stuff.. not cheap

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
bosch is meh. their batteries are okay, but i don't like much else from them, personally.
never used AC Delco, and don't have any plans to, either.

gotgohan

Apprentice Mechanic
Well I don't like OEM because I believe that manufacturers make sure their stuff doesn't last forever. That is why Aftermarket back their stuff with lifetime or long ass time warr. or even the OEM do that. but OEM doesn't back it with lifetime on anything... ever

ANYWAY

Dude you said your starter was dragging... what do you mean, do you mean it was sluggishly trying to turn over or do you mean it was just going forever like dragging on... That to me is a big difference. Because if its having a lot of trouble turning over from before it stopped running okay. There is a high chance you blew your head gasket or even cracked the block on the inside and its leaking antifreeze into the cylinders making it hard to turn over... CHECK YOUR OIL too it could be friction. There are so many god damn solutions

Last edited:

imcnblu

Resident G2 Guru of C-I
OEM parts will last longer than autozone crap ever will. You get what you pay for, is all I'm saying.

and its not a blown motor, don't get him all worried. take it from members who have been through this enough to know, its something in the ignition system. might need a new starter, if you said it was "dragging". not familiar with that expression. new starter, basic tune-up, etc. and you should be ready to rumble. i really doubt he cracked cylinder walls out of nowhere while barely driving it. and if he did, it wouldn't have started back up at all.

might also need to check all the wiring etc. make sure nothing is electrically f'd up. its bound to be something small that won't require you tearing apart your block. that, i can pretty much promise.

Last edited:

sleeper_92

I checked my distributor cap and rotor and spark plugs and they looked good, the spark plugs didn't have gas on them. i pulled the fuel line off the fuel rail and fuel came out. I checked my battery with a voltmeter on a whim and it read 11. 5 volts then i turned the key to the start position and it read 5 volts

sleeper_92

i checked the oil and coolant first both clean.. by dragging i mean having difficulty turning over then it was dead, im from the midwest so country fucker expressions sometimes come out haha. the distributor, plugs, and wires were good. my ignition coil had a shotty ground but i corrected it and its getting power to the coil and starter. i tested the battery and it read 11.5 volts and then i turned the key to the start postion and the voltage dropped to 4.8 volts. the battery is 3 months old.