1994 AC problems

Leigia67

O.K...so fixed my daughter's fuel pump issue...now on to the AC. Blows out all vents but blows hot. When I connect the gauge, shoots into the red "mechanical failure". Engine light is not coming on but, thanks to help from you all, I now know how to check for codes if necessary. I know AC problems could be very complicated but I hate to take it to a mechanic only to have them charge a fortune and still not fix the right thing. Any ideas where I could start checking?

Leigia67

No, not overheating, just not blowing cold air when I turn on the AC. When I connected the freon gauge it shot into the red zone which indicated "mechanical failure" apparently.

gugiey

No, not overheating, just not blowing cold air when I turn on the AC. When I connected the freon gauge it shot into the red zone which indicated "mechanical failure" apparently.
there are a couple things this could be we need more information to give you some help

is your compressor kicking in? not spinning cause it always is driven by the belt. but if you start your car and and turn on the a/c you should see you compressor pulley more towards the engine

if that is working. you a/c blend door may be stuck on hot .

ill update this later with more tips such as Temp of hoses at a/c running
and tests for your compressor clutch

seahtech

If your system if fully charged and yet the gauges are in the red aka "retard" your system is not turning on. This cou ld be because the a/c relay took a shit, compressor not turning on, blockage somewhere in the system so it is turning itself of, or your a/c switch has failed.

Now check whether the compressor is coming on at all EVEN IF IT ONLY TURNS ON FOR A SECOND! If it comes on and then shuts right back off your pressure switch is shutting it off because it knows the pressures are excessive. This could be caused by a blockage, overcharge (but not enough to blow the purge) or the compressor took a shit.

If the compressor does not come on tap on the a/c relay and if it comes on you know the relay is bad. If it doesnt come on while tapping it is probably still bad. I would bet 50% of all a/c diag that come into shop are because the relay failed. Honda uses horribly cheap relays.

Replaced the relay and still not turning on!? Jump the a/c switch to manually activate it.

Report back and I will help further

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
If your system if fully charged and yet the gauges are in the red aka "retard" your system is not turning on. This cou ld be because the a/c relay took a s***, compressor not turning on, blockage somewhere in the system so it is turning itself of, or your a/c switch has failed.

Now check whether the compressor is coming on at all EVEN IF IT ONLY TURNS ON FOR A SECOND! If it comes on and then shuts right back off your pressure switch is shutting it off because it knows the pressures are excessive. This could be caused by a blockage, overcharge (but not enough to blow the purge) or the compressor took a s***.

If the compressor does not come on tap on the a/c relay and if it comes on you know the relay is bad. If it doesnt come on while tapping it is probably still bad. I would bet 50% of all a/c diag that come into shop are because the relay failed. Honda uses horribly cheap relays.

Replaced the relay and still not turning on!? Jump the a/c switch to manually activate it.

Report back and I will help further
You seem like you know what youre doing! My 94 also has the ac out. It was out last year and then i got it recharged, and it worked. Until i went to turn it on this summer, it didnt... And then i realized neither of my fans work. What could be the problem?! We tested the fans (jumped them) and they work. The fuses are good. And we checked the relays in the fuse box and i believe both of them clicked. Although i guess because we have a 94 that there may be a different relay? I know my compressor clutch doesnt work but it may jump a bit when i turn it on, havent noticed that.

Id be glad if you could help the both of us! thanks!

Leigia67

WOW...the fact that there was no BELT for the compressor clearly was a problem! Went to check the compressor and the belt obviously completely corroded and fell off! So...$12 later...AC works! Thanks for the input...sometimes it really is the simplest thing huh?

gugiey

WOW...the fact that there was no BELT for the compressor clearly was a problem! Went to check the compressor and the belt obviously completely corroded and fell off! So...$12 later...AC works! Thanks for the input...sometimes it really is the simplest thing huh?
glad
you
figured out the problem

yonelvin

when i bought the car it came with now belt on a/c.... could that be the problem that its not working cause it doesnt blow hot just a tiny tiny bit cold and warm

Spawne32

Shut up baby, I know it!
lol yeh that will do it right there :lol: