1995 GS-R build - Where to start?

Benchracer

Hey guys, I've recently picked up a 95 GS-R, I've been having fun with it, but I'd like to try my hand at wrenching on it for potential performance gains.

My basic outline - I'd like to lower it a little (inch or so) or atleast eliminate some of the back wheel gap, however at the stock height I already encounter problems with scraping (potholes and entering my driveway)
I had originally intended on keeping the wheel size in line with stock (15x6) but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try a 16 inch setup.

Is there any good information I can find on tires and wheel brands? I'm kind of lost when it comes to that.

As far as the engine goes - I'd like to keep it naturally aspirated (I don't know much about working on cars, and paying for reforging my engine and then a boost kit/tune seems like something I'd want to do with more experience) but I'm open to the thought of adding boost (I'd prefer a turbo as I've heard superchargers are finicky) My basic goal is about 260 WHP.

Most people have suggested I try headers and an exhaust, I believe the term was C?/H/E, what does this mean exactly?
More on topic, I've looked into exhausts and while I might consider headers I prefer the exhaust as it is stock, I don't like the big, 2.5-3 inch wake-the-neighbors exhausts, both in sound and looks. are there any options that aren't so large that are also worth it? How would headers effect my sound without changing the stock exhaust?

So in general, I'm looking for a good starting point and help in building an outline for my build.
thanks in advance guys.

**Edit
I forgot to mention, this is bone stock, as in everything down to the cassette player-equipped radio. Probably relevant.

Last edited:

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Intake Header and Exhaust is going to net you about 20hp gain. 260whp NA is no joke and not something you will be achieving with this car.

94RS

No fucks given.
My basic outline - I'd like to lower it a little (inch or so) or atleast eliminate some of the back wheel gap, however at the stock height I already encounter problems with scraping (potholes and entering my driveway)
I had originally intended on keeping the wheel size in line with stock (15x6) but I'm wondering if I shouldn't try a 16 inch setup.
Pretty old pic, but this is how mine sits.

Tanabe GF210 springs on Koni STR.T's. It lowered the car 1.5" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. The wheels are OEM Miata 16's wrapped in General G-Max AS-03's.

Front wheel gap

Is there any good information I can find on tires and wheel brands? I'm kind of lost when it comes to that.
Check TireRack for reviews on tires.

As far as the engine goes - I'd like to keep it naturally aspirated (I don't know much about working on cars, and paying for reforging my engine and then a boost kit/tune seems like something I'd want to do with more experience) but I'm open to the thought of adding boost (I'd prefer a turbo as I've heard superchargers are finicky) My basic goal is about 260 WHP.
I'd start with basic bolt ons and go from there. If you're unsure about cars, I wouldn't go throwing money at a full build right off.

Most people have suggested I try headers and an exhaust, I believe the term was C?/H/E, what does this mean exactly?
I/H/E**

Intake, either short ram (stays inside the engine bay) or cold air (leads under bumper).

Header- 4-2-1 for low end gains, 4-1 for high end.

Exhaust - catback. If you're not wanting loudness, I suggest replacing the catalytic converter with a high flow cat rather than test pipe.

More on topic, I've looked into exhausts and while I might consider headers I prefer the exhaust as it is stock, I don't like the big, 2.5-3 inch wake-the-neighbors exhausts, both in sound and looks. are there any options that aren't so large that are also worth it? How would headers effect my sound without changing the stock exhaust?

Look into either the Apexi WS2 or Tanabe Medalion Touring. Both are similar in sound and design, the Tanabe is a bit cheaper and full stainless.

Benchracer

Pretty old pic, but this is how mine sits.

Tanabe GF210 springs on Koni STR.T's. It lowered the car 1.5" in the front and 1.3" in the rear. The wheels are OEM Miata 16's wrapped in General G-Max AS-03's.

Front wheel gap

Check TireRack for reviews on tires.

I'd start with basic bolt ons and go from there. If you're unsure about cars, I wouldn't go throwing money at a full build right off.

I/H/E**

Intake, either short ram (stays inside the engine bay) or cold air (leads under bumper).

Header- 4-2-1 for low end gains, 4-1 for high end.

Exhaust - catback. If you're not wanting loudness, I suggest replacing the catalytic converter with a high flow cat rather than test pipe.

Look into either the Apexi WS2 or Tanabe Medalion Touring. Both are similar in sound and design, the Tanabe is a bit cheaper and full stainless.

1 - Tanabe & STR.T
I like the way those look, the miata wheels aren't my taste but i do dig the white
I was looking at some wheels from Tirerack as well actually, are their TRracing wheels any good? I want mugens but I don't really care for the price on them.

2 - Bolt Ons & I/H/E
should I start on the exhaust here? I was actually looking at the Tanabe Medalion last night when I posted this, it seems alright but it's hard finding sound videos of a bonestock gs-r :lol:

when you say low end and high end do you mean that the cheaper/lower end one and the more expensive/higher end one or the one that's made for a less built engine versus one that's made for a more performance built engine? I think it's the first, but from reading the forums it seems that a lot of mistakes get made when people assume one thing instead of the right thing.

Cold air -

I was always under the impression that unless you had a way to put air directing into the engine bay (ie cutting a hole somewhere) a short ram was for looks only, and offered negligible gains, should I go for the CAI instead?

also, I've seen things like engine mounts and sway bars, I figure sway bars would help me but would motor/engine mounts?
thanks for the replies guys.

imgur.com/Gkz6OiD

is how my car looks right now

imgur.com/Er7nJuH

side shot before i removed the spoiler

Last edited:

Ryan659

I have an AEM short ram I can sell you if you want. It comes with the EO sticker for smog purposes.

Get the itr rear sway bar but you'll need a subframe brace. ASR is the most popular one still available.

You most likely don't need to upgrade the front sway bar.

Strut bars are also good.

If you want a cold air intake, buy a ct engineering one. It pulls air in from behind the passenger turn signal but retains the filter in the engine bay and you won't have to worry about pulling in water into the engine. And you don't cut anything. It's completely drop in

Last edited:

Ryan659

I also have a set of tein coil overs I am going to sell someday. They are good beginner coilovers and mine are in great condition. I am only going to replace them because my car is turning into a track car and I am in need of better/more expensive ones

Benchracer

I have a 95 gsr to, yours is clean. Good job on the stock find �� and welcome
thanks man!

I also have a set of tein coil overs I am going to sell someday. They are good beginner coilovers and mine are in great condition. I am only going to replace them because my car is turning into a track car and I am in need of better/more expensive ones
I'm thinking the CAI might be more up my alley, but how much for the Teins? I probably won't be getting them immediately, I'm just slowly building a better outline.

On the CAI, is ithe "Ice Box"?
http://store.ct-engineering.com/Honda-Civic-Air-Intake-p/330-121.htm

Last edited:

Teggy64

Got vtec?
Even a short ram intake will give ya a little boost in power. Mostly noise but you'll notice a slight difference especially on cold days. 2nd on the apexi ws2. Love mine; it's really well made and is pretty discrete.

Benchracer

That's the one.

I haven't really thought about price as new suspension isn't a priority right now but if a buyer comes along I'll sell them
word man, I'm not prioritizing my suspension either so I guess I'll just keep an eye open.

Even a short ram intake will give ya a little boost in power. Mostly noise but you'll notice a slight difference especially on cold days. 2nd on the apexi ws2. Love mine; it's really well made and is pretty discrete.
Heh, I live in Texas and summer is a-callin, I think I might just get the CAI