1996 LS fully built

acclude

cheap bastard
Well seriously, thank you all for the input!

Since the motor hasn't been started yet since the build, it's still early enough to be able to change pistons without much of a hassle. I might go ahead and do the pistons just to be safe.

P73 ITR pistons
or
P30 CTR pistons

Opinions?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
With those cams go at least with the ctr pistons. I would go with a ratio of at least 12:1. I'm kinda mad I didn't go higher. I'm running 13:1 right now but for a future build I would go with 14:1. As long as you get good gas and a good tune it will be fine.

acclude

cheap bastard
I'm stuck with 91-93 grade gas. It's kinda hit or miss around my area. Some places have 91, some 92, and some 93. I'm building it assuming that I'll be stuck with 91 grade so I didn't want to go too high on the comp. I thought 12:1 or higher was kinda pushing it. I don't mind going higher but I'd like to be somewhat safe about it. I've been crunching some numbers and this is what I've come up with.

Static:
Using the c/r calculator from C-Speed - http://www.c-speedracing.com/howto/compcalc/compcalc.php
with P30's my static c/r will only be about 11.1:1
with PCT's the SCR will be about 11.5:1

Dynamic:
I've got the full race Crower 404 cams (62404A's) and trying to calculate dynamic c/r,
the P30's is closer to 10.5:1
the PCT's DCR is closer to 11:1

That's acceptable to me and I'd probably go with the PCT's just to squeeze a little bit more out of it. Looking at it now, it is very possible that I might have been over-camming the engine and might have had it ported just a little too well for the lower c/r. I'd feel better bumping it up a little more. Once again, glad I haven't started this motor since the build.

My goal isn't to out-do the KingMotorsports LS build which is very impressive, but I have a feeling that's what's going to happen. This is purely on the fact that I have a very heavily modified head that flows great (I would guess pretty close to equivalent or maybe better than the one they used), same header and similar intake mani ported to flow with the head, a larger dia TB, no exhaust restrictions, same cams, and will have a higher comp ratio after changing out the pistons. As long as I don't mess up the tuning I don't see how this build would not exceed the 200whp mark?

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
I'm not shooting down your headwork but like I said before, I don't think that your head will flow anywhere near as good as that one.

Also, even on 91 octane you would be fine running 91 octane. 11:1 is too low of compression to make the power you should with those cams. Run at least 12:1.

acclude

cheap bastard
Wow! I thought this thread died! Thanks for the comment.

I am actually re-doing this entire car.

I'm in the process of stripping it down and building it for track only use.

I decided to go with a low comp., high boost setup so I'm selling off all the parts that were used for the NA build.

I'll probably start a new thread with the new plans and updated pics since they have changed so much for this thing.

General plans - strip it down like crazy
roll cage
B20 block with the B18 head I have
T4 or large Garrett GT series turbo
big brake kit
all upgraded sus.
nice white paint
carbon fiber body parts
polymer/lexan windows all the way around
stripped engine bay with all holes wleded up and painted to match the exterior
and more stuff

I'll make a new thread when I get all the exterior stuff done and post new pics.