1998 LS Starting problem

animal

Hell everyone. I am new to the forums and I am the owner of a 1998 Acura Integra LS. I purchased the car today. It has the B18B1 engine and is a 5 speed. The problem I am having seems to be when the car is hot. I test drove the car before buying it. It runs like a champ. Problem began after I arrived home, I attempted to leave in the car to go get some new cleaning supplies and the car would not start. I had to press the gas pedal to the floor for her to start. Upon starting the idle was very low and rough. I have let the car sit for about an hopur now and it started easier but still had the slightly rough idle. I have been out of the import game for a few years and this is my first Integra. Please give me some help your time is appreciated.

jwh0818

Sounds like a tps. Try cleaning the throttle body with some cleaner.

Do you have any check engine lights

animal

Yes I do have a cel....I am going to check it this morning. So you think TPS?

animal

A friend of mine that a mechanic said it sounds like the car is flooding....like the fuel pressure regulator is bad or an injector? He described exactly how the car acts so I think I am on to something. Any opinions??

sour_logic

I had the exact same issue with mine, it has happened twice now, but the last time was almost five months ago. and before that about six months.

jwh0818

A friend of mine that a mechanic said it sounds like the car is flooding....like the fuel pressure regulator is bad or an injector? He described exactly how the car acts so I think I am on to something. Any opinions??
Did you goto get you CEL checked?

animal

Ok, so heres an update. I have changed plugs, wires , cap and button. Still having the problem. I can start it up when its been sitting and it runs fine, drive it 5 minutes park it try and start it back up 5 or 10 minutes later and it wont start.....i have a tps sensor that i need to put on.....does anybody think this is the problem? Any other ideas ?

Last edited:

jwh0818

Ok, so heres an update. I have changed plugs, wires , cap and button. Still having the problem. I can start it up when its been sitting and it runs fine, drive it 5 minutes park it try and start it back up 5 or 10 minutes later and it wont start.....i have a tps sensor that i need to put on.....does anybody think this is the problem? Any other ideas ?
Replace the tp sensor and get the codes reread. It could possibly be your ICM (ignition control module) but before you change your ICM change your ignition coil. But other than that I don't have a clue. How does it run when its actually running

animal

Replace the tp sensor and get the codes reread. It could possibly be your ICM (ignition control module) but before you change your ICM change your ignition coil. But other than that I don't have a clue. How does it run when its actually running
Runs really good. Once I do get it started it idles rough for a few seconds then its fine. Im starting to get annoyed, I guess I dont have the patience I once had lol. Thanks for the help. If I press the gas to the floor it helps it start.....?? Does that help any?

jwh0818

Goto auto zone and take them you ICM and have them test it. I really wanna say its the ICM