1st gear = 20 mph?

bvans

DC5-ED9
Hey guys,

So I've noticed first gear in my Integra goes by pretty fast, I only get up to about 20ish mph in first gear
WOT is about 20 with vtec engaging, casual driving I probably get to like 10 mph...

Whats up with this?
I have a '95 integra ls w/ b18c1 swap
skunk 2 cams and gears, fuel pressure regulator, intake manifold, cold air intake, exhaust..

mjones73

If you have the GSR trans, it's geared higher therefore you're shifting faster...

Are you saying you're hitting 20MPH in 1st at 4400 when VTEC engages or at the 8000 RPM redline? I never really paid attention to how fast mine can get up to in 1st gear, I usually shift around 3000 with normal driving.

bvans

DC5-ED9
ya i noticed that, rpm is always half the mph.. precisely 4k at 80 mph

do any of you run gsr trannys? i'm not a racer or anything but I'd love to have some lower gearing I mean damn haha whats a good transmission to be running? LS?

Last edited:

Cripton805

Hey guys,

So I've noticed first gear in my Integra goes by pretty fast, I only get up to about 20ish mph in first gear
WOT is about 20 with vtec engaging, casual driving I probably get to like 10 mph...

Whats up with this?
I have a '95 integra ls w/ b18c1 swap
skunk 2 cams and gears, fuel pressure regulator, intake manifold, cold air intake, exhaust..
I have the original manual. The recommended shift points are.
B18C1 & stock tranny.

2nd. 14MPH
3rd. 25MPH
4th. 40MPH
5th. 49MPH

Maximum Speeds
1) 38MPH
2) 65MPH
3) 90MPH
4) 119MPH
5th TOP Speed

If this helped anyone please +rep
Thanks

Maximum speeds on B18Bs and their stock tranny is actually less than a GSR and their stock tranny due to the engines redline.
Putting a GSR or B16 tranny on a B18B is MAJOR overkill. Because you get to 6-7k a hella lot quicker than you would on a GSR.

Last edited:

96GSRteg

Tyler
i do believe first gear on a gsr trans gets up to about 36 mph in first. I have never really done that though, I normally shift early even if im getting on it. Otherwise i shift below 3k if im driving around town.

ben h

Banned
dam thats low mph for gears lol
i have a ls tranny
mines
1st 30
2nd 60
3rd 80
and above aint paid attention

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
All these mathematical data points assume:
A) You have a stock GSR transmission
B) You have a stock GSR final drive
C) You have stock sized (195/55-15) tires

20mph at redline in first gear? Or at VTEC engagement. For a stock GSR, you should be at 22mph at 4400 rpm, when VTEC engages.

First gear, at 8000 rpms you should be doing 39mph.

ya i noticed that, rpm is always half the mph.. precisely 4k at 80 mph
That isn't correct. It all depends on how fast you are going and what gear you are in.

But you are correct about your speed you listed. A stock GSR should be runing 81mph at 4000rpm in 5th gear.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Here is how it breaks down mathematically for G3 Integras w/ 195/55-15 tires and stock transmissions and final drives

Stock LS @ 6800 rpm:
1st: 34
2nd: 59
3rd: 88
4th: 115
5th: 156

Stock GSR @ 8100rpm:
1st: 40
2nd: 68
3rd: 94
4th: 124
5th: 163

Stock Type R @ 8400rpm:
1st: 41
2nd: 63
3rd: 91
4th: 120
5th: 157

bvans

DC5-ED9
meant in 5th gear the rpms are half the speed.. 2500 rpm at 50 mph
20 mph at around 8k rpm in first, i've never redlined it idk what the ecu is tuned at or what but I've gotten the rpms really high and never heard a redline or limiter hit so i dont wanna blow my engine.. vtec engages at 5k rpm

i have 195/50/15 tires

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
meant in 5th gear the rpms are half the speed.. 2500 rpm at 50 mph
20 mph at around 8k rpm in first, i've never redlined it idk what the ecu is tuned at or what but I've gotten the rpms really high and never heard a redline or limiter hit so i dont wanna blow my engine.. vtec engages at 5k rpm

i have 195/50/15 tires
Yes, that is true about a stock GSR drivetrain in 5th gear. 1k = 20mph, 2k = 40mph, 3k = 60mph, 4k = 81mph and so on. It is still close with 195/50-15 instead. You just progressively get about 1/2mph slower per 1K rpm than with 195/55.

But with a stock GSR drivetrain and 195/50-15, at 8k rpm in 1st, you should be doing 38mph.

Last edited:

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
I'm pretty sure all of this information depends on your tire/wheel size as well. So, stock #'s are always going to be incorrect unless you are putting tires that are identical to the stock ones on your car coupled with the stock rims.
Of course it does. That is why, in all of my posts, I specified tire and wheel size. That is also why my spreadsheets allow for input of different sizes so you can calculate any scenario you want.

More detailed spreadsheet attached!

That is about all the detail I will go in to. Here's the formula:

((((((Sidewall Ratio/100)*Tire Width)/25.4)*2)+rim diameter)*rpm)/((gear ratio*final drive)*336)

Attachments

Last edited: