1st Time Paint -Help!-

Bizkit64

Yo?
Well this weekend I plan on repaiting my new drivers side door, and both my fenders (one fender is new, the other is badly need of paint its chipping and small dents). The door/fender were badly dented so I got totaly new replacements for $100 bucks. Only problem is the color of the new parts are silver, while my car is black...

So I plan on just repaiting these sections untill I get more free time (probly over winter break) to re-paint my whole car... (or is it worth it just to repaint it all? [well only have like < 8 hours to work on it this weekend] Currently there is no clear coat on the roof, only bad spots are on the rear bumper which I most likly well get replaced...And the hood has some dings).

Anyways today after school I'm probly headed to Home Dep or somthing to buy:
320, 400, 600, 1000, and 1200 grit sandpaper?

This is where I get confused/need help:
Prep work well probly take a good hour+
I'll start sanding with a sanding block with 400 followed by 600 grit.

Now primer wise I cant deside to get epoxy-primer (which is like OEM primer It greatly increases body filler adhesion and corrosion over metal) Or to get some kind of primer-sealer- {since I most likly well repaint it later down the road.}

I know theres a one-stage paint you can get or somthing, but I kind of want to keep it cheap (spray paint) or i might get a spray gun... Realy can't deside.
This is where I kind of spidder off and dont know what to do...

When I'm done buff using 1000, and 1200 grit sandpaper...

Might just keep it flat black, yet I wouldnt mind a gloss + by doing this I'll learn later down the road the do's and don'ts.... Anyways off to Honda-Tech to read up some more...
Any help is great.
Thanks!

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
If you do prep work properly it will take more than an Hr. Take your time dont rush at all or else the paint will come out shitty. Work one body panel make sure to feel the panal as you sand. Keep looking for dents and small nick. Start using 320 A rougher grit paper, then move to 600. After that get a 2K Primer because that primer can be painted over. Now here is a little tip I have picked up. just mist over the primer with black paint so you can get black dots over the primer. Then block it agen with 600 grit this way you can see high and low spots on the body. Once that all comes out primer the car agen if you did mist it with black. If you didnt just finish your cars body for prep work then make sure to take your time to tape the car up. Dont be a cheap ass or rush or else you will miss tons of stuff and the paint will come out shitty. Get some toothpics and a razer blade This will help you tape the edges well.

When you paint the car make damn sure to use a paint gun. Dont use rattle can to paint because it will not be consistant spray over the car. Make sure if you use a gun try to get a HPLV(High Pressure Low Volume) and get the air mixture right to much air will give you tons of Orange Pieal effect. Make sure you give the car tons of time to dry before you wet sand. I would sugest wait a week to wet sand to be certain the paint has set.

Wet sand I would sugest you get a bucket of water and soak 2000 grit sand paper in it for 15 or so minutes. Then sand you panals but make sure you go one direction do not make circles. Get some 3M Buffing Compound to to buff the car.

Bizkit64

Yo?
^ Thanks man! I realy hope this works out well, I'm gonna make a list and head out to the the stuff I'll be needing. Can you recommand a good paint? / place to buy?

Bizkit64

Yo?
Mhmmm making a list

(have tape)
-320 grit
-600 grit
-black spray paint... (brand?)
-2k primer?

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
The black spray dosnt really matter. Its just to make sure you dont have any low or high spots. Ask the place you get the paint from I assume you are going to a place that sells automotive paints which 2k Primer is compatible with the Single stage you are using. If you have a Savage Paint parts Just check around the parts store

Bizkit64

Yo?
Primer done for today, did a few layers, wetsanding sucks!!!

More wetsand / painting tommorow and an Civic Si meet which should be fun

Bizkit64

Yo?
Came out well, wetsanded, 3 layers of primer, wetsanded again, and I'm currently on the 4th layer of paint.

Only runs where by the drivers side mirrior (under it), but I plan on rewet sanding tonight, and putting 2 more layers, before waiting untell Friday/Sat for the paint to hardern to wetsand / polish.

Looks way better then before! I def well do my whole car this summer, but I'll use a paint gun... and hopefully more people to help wetsand, it takes for ever!

JdmITRCinci

JDM Bliss
Came out well, wetsanded, 3 layers of primer, wetsanded again, and I'm currently on the 4th layer of paint.

Only runs where by the drivers side mirrior (under it), but I plan on rewet sanding tonight, and putting 2 more layers, before waiting untell Friday/Sat for the paint to hardern to wetsand / polish.

Looks way better then before! I def well do my whole car this summer, but I'll use a paint gun... and hopefully more people to help wetsand, it takes for ever!
you feel the burn in those arms yet. Good luck man.