2.0L 200hp i-VTEC RSX > 1.8L 142hp non-VTEC/VTEC Integra ?

01TegLuv

Whatsup guys, i love my DC i love my integras, to death!! but its an old school car now, and missing the heated mirrors and stuff like in the RSX (integra) and also that i-VTEC 2.0L as opposed to 1.8L. VTEC is like an option you have to now go out and pay way extra for to swap in or have to sell your car to get a GSR, where as all RSX's come with VTEC as well as a little more power. Not to mention a little bigger sized car in an american environment where everyone likes their big cars.

What do you guys think? Is it worth it more to get an RSX over an Integra? The B-Series is legendary and alot of hype over and people will argue over but the K-Series i think imo might be a better more refined motor, Honda took what they learned form the B-Series and applied it to the K and made it better...

STOCK VTEC

1.8L > 2.0L

142hp/170hp > 200hp

I see people pushing stock K-series' on stock internals going boost where as B-series also but you definitely want to build it to handle extra pressure..

I've been thinking of building my GS going boost and maybe LS/VTEC, but maybe a K-SERIES is already vtec, more power and better to tune from stock..

opinions, thought, statements, advice, all welcome.. clean & helpful.

thanks!!

Muckman

Not a M0derator
RSX is a NICE car - even the base model. Plus theres so much tuning potential with the K series platform.

Pro tip: Kpro is OBD2 compatible

01TegLuv

Yeaa, ive driven the RSX's base models, Type S's , 02 models, 05-06 models.. I worked at Acura selling them!! :D

I like that the motor comes 2.0L and VTEC stock!!

and i-VTEC i forget now but it has variable timing on the exhaust valves or camshafts or something... ? as opposed to the B-SERIES VTEC OPTION

hate having to settle on a non-vtec cause of availability and price and now have to consider LS/VTEC's , B18C swaps or LS turbo which im really considering and liking the idea but... its expensive and alot of work instead of just turboing a stock K-series!

i think its just a more improved motor stock. B-series will always be badass. but cmon! Honda learns from what they do on the track with their Type R's and trickle down the wisdom to their production models as we've seen with the first VTEC from the NSX to the Integra...

K-series already has a high compression therefore more power and and me and my friend at the dealership just beat on stock RSX's all day like they owed us money and they take the beating like a champ! :)

They rev higher, you can push them, beat on them. already larger, higher compression and did I mention STOCK VTEC!? :D

so why not upgrade to a stock more better, powerful, improved motor and car then to spend money and upgrade the oldschool one...?

Only reason im considering and not doing it yet ... 'cause I love my teggy my baby... :) heehee

and I have a vision and plan as to what I want to do to my teg.... though its going to take alot of nice cash...

but I love the RSX's tail and lights, it size. I dont feel like this overgrown man child in a lil race car next to ppl in ford explorer's and dode chargers on the road.

i love the RSX's body and improved motor. Just wished they made a 4 dr RSX like they did with the Integra..

and I LOVE AND NEED HEATED MIRRORS!! ESPECIALLY IN RAIN N FOG!! lol

Anyway, how's it with tuning potential compared to the B ..?

you say its better? more tuning potential.

I was thinking of doing over completely my teg, paint job/bodywork, turbo/motor work, interior, tranny swap, exhaust, everything, rims

the RSX has stock VTEC though!!! :D

Last edited:

01TegLuv

Live someplace where it freezes over and takes for freaking ever for your mirrors to defrost and you'll wish you had them. Hahaha

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Yuuup! true. I live in NY, freezing cold weather. Whenever my mirrors fog up, they dont unfog anytime soon. My windows fog up and i cant even see the mirror, or people in the next lane or changing lanes which is dangerous...

i have to roll my window down and get a napkin and wipe the mirror down in order to see... -.-

R13

The other asshole
I have a little butane torch I got from lowes for $16 that works great for that And I always warm my car up and defrost everything before I gotta leave.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
VTEC is like an option you have to now go out and pay way extra for to swap in or have to sell your car to get a GSR, where as all RSX's come with VTEC as well as a little more power.
You do realize that the i-VTEC in the base versus the Type S models are significantly different right?

The i-VTEC in the base RSX is made for fuel efficiency and only effects one intake valve. It is not the high rpm, screaming kick that the word "VTEC" brings to mind. At low rpm, one intake valve operates as normal while the other just barely opens, which aides in atomization of the intake charge. Once the rpms pick up, it just opens the other valve all the way to behave normally.

In the Type S, it actually switches to high lift, longer duration lobes on all intake and exhaust valves, completely changing the character of the engine.

Comparing an RSX base because it has a version of i-VTEC to a Type S or Integra GSR version is not quite apples to apples.

Last edited:

01TegLuv

I have a little butane torch I got from lowes for $16 that works great for that And I always warm my car up and defrost everything before I gotta leave.
You heat up your mirror with a butane lighter...??? 0.o

ok.....

01TegLuv

You do realize that the i-VTEC in the base versus the Type S models are significantly different right?

The i-VTEC in the base RSX is made for fuel efficiency and only effects one intake valve. It is not the high rpm, screaming kick that the word "VTEC" brings to mind. At low rpm, one intake valve operates as normal while the other just barely opens, which aides in atomization of the intake charge. Once the rpms pick up, it just opens the other valve all the way to behave normally.

In the Type S, it actually switches to high lift, longer duration lobes on all intake and exhaust valves, completely changing the character of the engine.

Comparing an RSX base because it has a version of i-VTEC to a Type S or Integra GSR version is not quite apples to apples.
I know there's a difference. The Type-S has a little more power. You're saying the base K20 is tuned for economy and not the same VTEC you think of when you say VTEC.

Still, it can be retuned and still has stock VTEC compared to NO VTEC on a B, and having to scour and pay extra for a VTEC B when the K comes with VTEC. all the valve lift and duration, aint it all just a matter of your tune...? its going to be tuned anyways.

What I was talking about was that i hate VTEC as a rare option when buying old school integras around here where as all RSX's come with VTEC. Yes, I know what you're saying the TYPE S is the one tuned to open up the valves lke the REAL VTEC. I guess you have a point.

Still larger, than the B with NO VTEC or annoyingly having to do swaps FOR VTEC...

01TegLuv

in the end, if its too much trouble to get a GSR or RSX, possibly TYPE S... might just stay with my LS, go turbo and call it a day... phruck it!

01TegLuv

So you're saying the base RSX isn't even worth looking at...?

no tuning potential..? :(

how do LS's with NO VTEC have tuning potential...?

aint it all a matter of your tune and build?

on my motor i can up the compression, turbocharge and tune and get 100whp without vtec...

Muckman

Not a M0derator
You keep saying it has VTEC on the base model but whoo cares its still 40hp less than the Type-S. I dont think we need to dive into the differences bc it will bore everyone but who cares about VTEC if you are going to boost it anyways?

A 160hp RSX base is no faster than your 140hp lighter Integra LS. Same with lighter GSR vs heavier TypeS.

By tuning potential I mean actual tuning program, ability to tune the ECU. Honda has a black hole regarding cars from 96-01 you cant tune. You have to downgrade to OBD1 to tune it. So if we want to have newer rust free cars that are not primered with shocker stickers, we need to deal with OBD1 and the resulting issues with inspection. With 2002+ models Hondata's KPro can easily pass the OBD2 scan while offering the same tuning functions. That one aspect is very important to me.

01TegLuv

That's important to me too. I would have to upgrade to a OBD1 anyway with my integra.

and thats what i was referring to also, tuning the computer (Ecu)

im always gonna do an ecu swap so.. ?

OK so Type S may be the best.

but i was considering really a base Rsx over an LS integra...

boosted, tuned, ecu programming, all that.

the base stills gotta be tunable and still a little more power than LS.. if i had the money and find a clean condition type s tho.. that would be a no-brainer.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Still, it can be retuned and still has stock VTEC compared to NO VTEC on a B, and having to scour and pay extra for a VTEC B when the K comes with VTEC. all the valve lift and duration, aint it all just a matter of your tune...? its going to be tuned anyways.
No, it is not the same and it is not a matter of just tuning. The Base and Type S i-VTEC systems are vastly different. You will have to pay extra for a Type S as well, just as you would to get a GSR instead on an LS.

I'm not incenuating that a B18B1 or K20A3 doesn't have potential. They have plenty depending on what you want to do with it. I'm just saying that the i-VTEC in the base does not serve the same function as it does in a Type S.

Last edited: