2000 b16 Si vtec crank no start

Bgbllr547

I have a 2000 gs with a b16 si vtec motor in it, I am unable to start it. I went to start it up after work the other night and it wouldn't even turn over. I managed to get it to crank, but doesn't start. I am getting spark, new plugs and wires, new vc gasket, wires are in correct firing order. Timing is correct.
I have experienced it not wanting to turn over before, but it would always start up after a few tries. I just bought the car 2 1/2 weeks ago, guy said it ran great, only needed to replace air intake temp sensor, and it would be back to 100%. I am going to replace the distributor and see if that fixes it, any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bgbllr547

Update: I replaced icm, still no start. Cleaned fuel injectors and still no start. I'm stumped yet again, becaus I was having the symptoms of a bad icm, so i thought replacing it would fix it, but it didn't. Idk what else it could be, any help would be nice

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Are you getting fuel? It could be a clogged fuel filter or injectors. Also check your relays, and check if your injectors are firing.

Bgbllr547

I have checked all the relays, they are good, fuel is getting into the engine, plugs are wet when checked right after cranking. The injectors are working properly. It wants to turn over but it won't. Would the clutch safety switch be causing this? I worked fine 3 or 4 hours before I was unable to start it, it stated right up on the first try, but when I went to start it after work it would not start. The distributor on it is a td-22u. I'm thinking that is not a strong enough distributor to run the car, that it got overworked and just gave up. Am I right in thinking this? Any help is appreciated

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
When I did my swap I got everything done and the engine would crank, it got a strong spark, and the plugs were wet. Turns out the fuel pump was missing from the shell I bought. Put in a fuel pump and it started up right away.

First check to see if you are building fuel pressure. If you are, take out one injector and crank the car and see if it is actually firing and that it has a good spray pattern. The clutch safety switch could be causing it so test that. If you are getting a good strong spark and everything else works on the car then I don't think it would be a relay, maybe a fuse though.

Bgbllr547

Haven't been able to work on the car the las two days so I have been doing some research, the distributor that is on the car now is a td-22u, which goes to the 88-91 b16 motor, and it is hooked up to a 2000 b16, could this be the cause of my problem?

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
yes, there is one wire that needs to jumped to the harness, i've seen it b4 but never had to do it, google a rewire DIY

Bgbllr547

Ok, so I still have yet to fix the problem. I have spark, but idk if it is strong enough. The car has yet to start up, but it wants to. I don't know what else to try, any ideas?

Bgbllr547

I changed the Ignition coil and it was not the problem, so I am gonna replace the whole distributor and see of that is the problem. I am also gonna check the ecu to see if that is the culprit.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Swap a known good dizzy and that will eliminate that possibility.
Check fuses.
Swap a starter or gewgle the method you can get it to crank without using the key. If it starts then it's wiring.
With so many attempts at starting it I assume u know the battery is perfectly good.

You know, I've read countless threads about cars not starting and often you don't see starter among the first things checked. lol

Last edited:

JobotDestroy

Resident thug
I changed the Ignition coil and it was not the problem, so I am gonna replace the whole distributor and see of that is the problem. I am also gonna check the ecu to see if that is the culprit.
Your just throwing parts at it. You need to diagnose it. That's a obd 2 2nd Gen car hook a scanner up and see there's any codes. Get a multimeter and start testing sensors and what not. (check crank sensor) You need 3 things no less to start a engine. Spark, fuel, and compression. Test all these. Just cause you replaced parts in the past does not mean your getting spark. Hope this helps good luck :)

j13

Keep It Clean
Air, fuel, spark, and check the harness to see if anything got disconnected, and recheck after you check it. Is there a check engine light?

DC4GoFast

i have a car problem
Thats a obd1 distributor, must've been rewired to work with the obd2 harness i would check the connections