2000 Type R keeps blowing distributor?? Help!

blondegondumb

I have a 2000 type R that keeps blowing the distributor and I don't know why. I am running an AEM Ecu and have been told this might be the issue but I don't know. Does anyone have any ideas or tests I could do? This is my baby and I need to fix it!

Thanks guys!

cvcrcr99

I might be missing something, but what do you mean by blowing distributors? What part is breaking? That's like saying you are blowing an engine... well, what part?

blondegondumb

Sorry I am new to the whole car thing so I am still learning. Umm I'm not sure what part is breaking. Some people have said its my coil in the distributor but they have not physically looked at it. I've had to get about 5 distributors.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
there is a ground on the thermostat housing, the lower radiator hose will lead you to it, make sure its grounded tightly. that grounds out a lot of shit.

cvcrcr99

You have gone through 5 complete distributors and you never thought to switch back to the OEM ecu, or change something? Obviously there is a problem elsewhere if you have gone through 5 dists so far.

drevans_satx

Dylan
^grounds. If those check out, then try to find/buy a stock ITR ecu. If I still had mine i'd lend it out, but that's long gone.

It really does sound like a grounding issue though.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
that ground in particular, grounds out the entire injectors, and distributor.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Did you add a used AEM? Someone may have switched the jumpers inside for a different type of coil driver. Also, if it's a 1st gen AEM EMS, those are known to go out and take coils out with them.

You can ONLY use OEM distributors with the EMS.

Why are you replacing the entire distributor? You can replace the coil and ignitor separately. Is it the cam/crank sensor going out? Who is doing the work for you?

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Youre probably frying coils. There are many ignition dwell settings that can negatively affect the coil and cause it to over heat. You should take it to an AEM EMS tuner.

blondegondumb

Thanks for all the responses everyone. I was getting reman distributors for a while so I thought maybe I just kept getting bad ones but this past one was brand new. I have not yet checked all my grounds. Not quite sure how to do that but I can find out. I do all the work myself as I have recently developed a passion for cars and fixing them. I have been trying to find a Stock ECU for a while now and have yet to find anything. Does anyone know of anyone selling one? Also, Are you sure by switching to OEM this will solve my problem?

Thanks

Muckman

Not a M0derator
By brand new I'm assuming not OEM. And aftermarket replacement distributors are a big no no with the AEM EMS. Why don't you back up a bit and explain what you mean by "blown distributor" and the symptoms.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
to check the ground you can do one of the following or both

check to see if its loose
or unbolt it and clean the mating surfaces, bolt, wires, block or whatever its grounded to, clean it, and rough up the surface of the motor with some sand paper.

blondegondumb

Yeah I got it from a parts store. Do I need to get a different distributor?
So to give you a little background... Well every situation has been different. A few times I was driving and my car just cut off and would not start. It just kept turning over. When I replaced the distributor it fixed the problem. And other times I went out to my car after driving it the night before and it wouldn't start. I reaced the distubutor and again it started fine. Each time this happens, my car kind of making a coughing noise.

TheCrimsonStar

Here's my thought...maybe the last owner of the AEM ecu had it tuned to use the AEM coil-on-plug system? That would explain it blowing stock distributors. This may not be the issue but just thought I'd toss my two cents in.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2