2001 GS audio

BrainDeadSpeed

Southern Imports
I just bought a 2001 Acura Integra GS hatchback yesterday and want to start research on tuning and upgrading parts on the car. Since I know my way around audio components I figured I'd start where I know what I'm doing. The problem? I don't know any of the specifics of the audio system for the GS and want to get all my ducks in a row before I destroy my new car. What I really want to know is the specifics, like what size are the speaker in the car? Is there any reading material I can get my hands on cheaper than $20 or online reading material that best shows the how-to with the GS audio in mind?

P.S. First post, hello website.

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
it seems that you might think you know your way around:) so did i when i first started. now i know that i didnt know shit and still learning after 7+ years.

you would know where to find speaker size. such as google search would bring up pages and pages of relative info.
the12volt.com has wiring info for all cars and years.

btw welcome to CI

your question is very vague, what exactly are you looking for?
and what are your plans?
if by reading material you mean wire colors then they are freely available on the internetz.

sonic electronix supplies free wiring info with purchases over certain amount check that store out.

stereo:
single din with a pocket or double din

front speakers are 6.5 separates(woofer and tweeter)
shallow unless you cut out the speaker basket.
rear: 2 door 6.5 and 4 door 6x9 speakers
no factory subs.no steering wheel controls.

the best way to go is tell us what you want to achieve and your budget and there are plenty of people here to help you get the best for your money...

its not necessary to gowith all 4 speakers of same brand and model but its preferred since they have same/close sound which is specific to that speaker.
you might not pay attention but your ear catches the difference in sound and it will make you a bit uncomfortable.

Last edited:

BrainDeadSpeed

Southern Imports
Sorry I was out of state for a little bit but back at my computer.

I know I was being vague, didn't mean to be a jerk about it or anything but I kind of wanted general info. Like the speaker size and what I meant about reading material I meant how to remove and install audio parts. If you want me to be more specific, alright, but like I said I just wanted some info because I literally just bought the car last Thursday and don't know any of the specifics.

OK, I'm planning as of right now a fold up DVD receiver to replace stock stereo, replace the stock speakers with something better (vague I know but I don't want to get into watts right this very second I am still just doing research), replace the tweeters on the door with something better as well.

I'm wanting to put 5 sub woofers (vague about size because I need to measure to check clearance) in the trunk and turn the trunk into one big speaker box to hold the 5 sub woofers. I want to put two on the left and two on the right side of the trunk and one by itself against the backseat. I am wanting to install at least one (maybe two depending on wattage) amplifiers on the floor. I'm thinking of making a plexi-glass box and putting neon lights inside of the box to shine through. I also want to place a small (don't know size yet) TV screen perhaps under the fifth speaker. But if not plexi-glass box then a fiberglass box and paint.

With the rear deck I'm either wanting to install two sub woofers or two hater screens. Depends on clearance.

I've been doing wiring and audio for 6 and a half years, I don't mean to sound cocky or anything I swear, if it came off as me sounding cocky, sorry. I do not want to get on peoples bad sides because I hope to stay here for a while and learn as much as I can. Oh, and I'm not doing this right now, like I said it's brand new and I want this to be as professional and seamless as possible so I don't tear up my interior. If I have to I may send it in to a shop if I can't do it myself.

Last edited:

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
Why do you want so much in your car? lol. thats a TON. but theres plenty or writeups between this forum and team-integra.net about taking apart the interior. and we have room for a double din if you get rid of the cubby hole, why not just do that instead of a flip out?

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
i dont know why would you go with a flip out vs a double din indash. in the integra.
if you put itn in the upper slot it will cover heater controls
if you put it in lower it will block the ONLY cup holders you have:)

a double din would be my suggestion.

if its a factory stereo you have to remove the arm rest and shifter console to get to the screws holding the OEM radio on the bottom of it.

theres really no need to put that much stuff in the trunk, its a hatch back.

i had 2 400 watt 10 inch subs in it and could only handle it for about 5 weeks it was very loud i almost passed out while driving when i turned it up.

ended up going to a 500 watt sub and then down to a 350 JL w3 which was more than enough.

hater screens?

2 subs in the decklid? subs in the trunk cover are useless theres not enough support for them to produce any kind of good sound. you can put them there for looks only.

this whole idea seems like you just watched fast and furious and want to show off at a car show. the only problem is its a bit outdated, the whole custom bling bling trunk full of subs and monitors.

i can see you pulling it all out within few months and losing alot of money in process.

especially if you re beeing so vague about it, id say take a deep breath relax:) and drive the car for a bit and see how it feels and it will come to you.

took me about 3 years to get my sound system exactly(almost) as i wanted. now its done and i want new project.

btw no need to apologise, i was cocky too when i first started, but were here to help not to judge, after all it is your car and your money. and if youre doing it for yourself because thats how you imagine"your" car then its great.
but if you re doing it to score some need for speed style points at some local shows than id say thats not a great way to go. because that fame fades quickly, with every new bling bling car the old one is quickly forgotten, and you re fe 1000 dollars shorter than you were:)

hopefully you dont take my words offensively as well.

good example would be.
i ve personally known someone that put in about 50k into his car and ended up selling it for 7000 less than 2 years later.
and there was a guy on craigslist selling his integra for under 10k while he spent around 52k on the car and upgrades.

he called it "investment"

jcrabb13

Registered Abuser
ya i run a 500W w3 right now, but im bumping down to a 250 w3 cause the 250 amp was free and i still have a few days to return the 500 to best buy (it was a temp fix from my last amp). I pretty much agree with everything that guy said.

BrainDeadSpeed

Southern Imports
Hater Screen = TV screens only visible for those from behind you. Maybe it's a southern term.

About the flip up dvd player/stereo, I've been just browsing the internet for images for ideas and reference and I saw a very custom dash for a race car where the guy had removed the two vents on top of the dash and put in his boost controller and was thinking of redirecting the stereo to up there.

As for the subs in the deck lid, I kind of figured I'd add the trunk speaker box into the deck lid making it all one piece. But I changed my mind on the subs in the deck lid, subs right in front of the rear windshield just doesn't sound like a good idea when thinking about it.

About the 5 subs, I was thinking of shrinking it to 3, one on the left, one on the right, and one against the rear seat and not turning to entire trunk into a speaker box, but still get an amp just so I can control the sound. Only having the very back of the trunk being used, mainly under the deck lid.

Oh and yeah if I do even decide to put three subs, I was thinking only using 10" subs, not like 15" or anything.

As far as replacing the dvd reciever, yeah if I move the stereo up to the vents then I'd have enough room to have a nice double din. AND BEFORE THE MASSIVE REPLIES TO THIS IDEA!!! I know it will not be a walk in the park, I know it will not be easy. I know it will not be a 30 minute project. I know, I know, I know. So don't waste you're time telling me it's a bad idea because I haven't done it yet, and it's not like I'm gonna start it in the morning.

Oh, and yeah I've been driving the car every day since I bought it, I love it to death, I plan on keeping and maintaining the car for at least the next 6 years or more. Right this very moment I am planning what I want, not doing what I want. For instance it's only a DOHC, I want to swap the engine with a DOHC VTEC. I couldn't find a GSR or Type-R for less than $20,000 where I was looking...

But yeah, nothing has been done yet, just an oil change, lol.

EDIT: jcrabb13, getting rid of the cubby hole doesn't sound like a bad idea either. Probably save a lot more time than my idea.

Last edited:

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
another idea for you.
because those middle heatvents are kinda all you got. the sides are not that much usefull for heating or cooling the interior.

i was planning to put a motorized screen where the clock goes to make it flush with the dash when closed.

but some newer cars are getting pretty creative with the indash and monitors.

heres a few to consider.

notice how vw beetle middle heatvents extend al the way to the windshield, that piece comes off, you can build something similar on the integra to house the LCD screen.

BrainDeadSpeed

Southern Imports
This is why I came to this site, for ideas and references and help. Tenshi I never thought of really rebuilding the dash, just severely changing it. Oh and I know they are the only real vents for me, the rest are for defogging and such. I was willing to risk it... lol, but I'm not wanting this to be a trailer queen and only haul it so I should be thinking about comfort to me and any passengers.

thenoxus1

Quick-Spool Racing LLC
I'm also a bit of an audiophile, feel free to PM me with ?'s about the teg's audio, I am pretty experienced. One word of caution, well two. Make sure you get a good alarm etc, integras are one of the MOST stolen cars, and audio equipment everywhere is just an added bonus. Also, make sure you get a good battery etc in when drawing that much current, it's only a little car.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Keep in mind the more equipment you have in the car....it's weight slowing it down and worsens handling.
I started out with a 2 amp setup and a Kicker 12L7 in my '95 hatch, later knocked it down to a single 6 channel amp running everything, and one 10 inch sub.

I wouldn't put anything in the deck lid (tonneau cover) either.

You'll need an amp to run any number of subs regardless, so plan on that.

You couldn't find a GSR for less than 20 grand? That's hard to believe.

tenshi_R

luxury integra driver
well i didnt mean you mold it in the dash. mount it on top with matching vinyl leather wrap you can secure it through the clock opening i think theres a bolt there holding the dash.

BrainDeadSpeed

Southern Imports
Yeah I plan on having a second battery just for the audio. And yeah I know you really need an amp when installing subs. And the deck lid (sorry if that's not an acceptable term, lol) or tonneau cover idea I am just tossing around. I may not alter it.

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Are you planning on doing competitions? If not, my personal suggestion would be one, MAYBE two high quality subs, I have a JL W3v2 with 450 watts and it blows anything ive heard away...