2001 ITR No Start

drevans_satx

Dylan
So as the title says, my ITR refuses to start.
When i turn the key I can hear the fuel pump priming (Walbro 255)
It doesnt even attempt to turn over. The pump just makes its sound as long as the key is turned to start or the push to start button is pressed. I checked the main relay and it makes the 3 click sounds.
It's been doing this off and on, but usually I just took off the negative battery terminal, counted to 10 and put it back on. Basically resetting the ecu.
Now it just sits and whirrs. Nothing else, and i'd rather be driving it than trying to get it to start.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
You can test the starter by running it directly to the battery. Google a quick proper way to do this if you dont know how. I have the no crank issue now and then and might have finally narrowed it completely down to the starter. Ive always managed to get it started after trying many times and when key turns fail after several minutes i beat the starter. Has worked 9/10 times.

drevans_satx

Dylan
You can test the starter by running it directly to the battery. Google a quick proper way to do this if you dont know how. I have the no crank issue now and then and might have finally narrowed it completely down to the starter. Ive always managed to get it started after trying many times and when key turns fail after several minutes i beat the starter. Has worked 9/10 times.
I beat the starter and still nothing. In fact i just walked out to the garage (i pushed it in from outside) and the little bitch started right up.
Im thinking its possibly cabin heat related, but i already checked my main relay..

do you have spark?
do you have good grounds
do you have another distributor
do you have another ecu
I have spark when it wants to
My grounds are very clean and shiny with no corrosion(cleaned my engine bay up)
I don't have another distributor unless a gsr will work
I don't have another ecu unless the gsr will work which I doubt. I'm running a chiped and tuned p28 on Chrome.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Gsr dizz will work, only question is obd1 or 2 dizzy. You need a obd2. Spark wont matter if the motor wont crank. Ive had the same thing happen so just because beating the starter didnt work doesnt mean the starter is good. It just sometimes helps and when it does work is more of an indicator that the contacts are worn. One time i couldnt get the car started up i had it towed home. Soon as we rolled the b**** off the flat bed it fired up first key turn. Havent fixed that issue since and to this day its the problem ive dealt with and only left me stranded that one time. Unique case and probably more lucky than anyone else.

There are other potential reasons too. Im just suggesting a starting point. If you have another starter you could swap that too. Or take it to the auto parts store that does a free starter test. I dont always trust those though but i have never personally gone there myself.

Last edited:

drevans_satx

Dylan
Gsr dizz will work, only question is obd1 or 2 dizzy. You need a obd2. Spark wont matter if the motor wont crank. Ive had the same thing happen so just because beating the starter didnt work doesnt mean the starter is good. It just sometimes helps and when it does work is more of an indicator that the contacts are worn. One time i couldnt get the car started up i had it towed home. Soon as we rolled the b**** off the flat bed it fired up first key turn. Havent fixed that issue since and to this day its the problem ive dealt with and only left me stranded that one time. Unique case and probably more lucky than anyone else.

There are other potential reasons too. Im just suggesting a starting point. If you have another starter you could swap that too. Or take it to the auto parts store that does a free starter test. I dont always trust those though but i have never personally gone there myself.
Well I have my 97 GSR. If the aRR pulls this crap again, ill go tear apart the gsr...hopefully nobody wants to buy it when I do :cry: In my hours of research before posting I was beginning to think the starter contacts would be a possibility...

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Well s***.. just pull parts off the gsr to test. The starter most likely is the same too. Takes 5-10 minutes to pull it. If u know the gsr starter has no issues this will tell u what to do next.

You should just keep the gsr. And i'll buy your lemon off you.

drevans_satx

Dylan
Well s***.. just pull parts off the gsr to test. The starter most likely is the same too. Takes 5-10 minutes to pull it. If u know the gsr starter has no issues this will tell u what to do next.

You should just keep the gsr. And i'll buy your lemon off you.
My gsr needs some engine work to run properly and be DD-able. My lemon is way overpriced, but I do like the TSX :twisted:

If the aRR does it again ill pull apart the gsr and see, but its one of those hit or miss things..