2005 Lexus IS prices

shahriar35

Hey all, I wanted to get input from people. We are getting a car for the girlfriend, it is going to be a 2005 Lexus IS300 with only 34 miles, its in very good condition. The asking price online was $15,990 by the dealership. I have done business with this dealership last year when I purchased my 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata and got a very good deal on the car after haggling back and forth.

So we saw the car on Saturday but didnt get the opportunity to drive it as it was so late in the day. But we discussed prices and with stating the price once, the dealership drove it down to $15,500. We said we would see if we could get financing on the car and then come by and drive it and see how we feel. So today we would like to go drive it and make a deal on the car. I am wondering how should I approach this situation since he knows we are interested in the car. I would be very happy on settling at $14,500. My dad said to start at $14,000 and go from there and he said not to be scared to get up and walk away either. I would like to know negotiating tactics that I can use during this purchase.

I already have built repport with the dealership due to my previous purchase.

Thanks in advance,
Shah

Vanessa

is here for decoration.
That's an excellent price if the body is in good condition.

I was looking at a 2005 IS300, as well, back in March before I got my 2007 TSX but the gas mileage changed my mind about the IS300.. 18mpg

They wanted $18k for it. I forget the mileage, though.. Was definitely more than 34,000!

shahriar35

I guess I am being a cheap ass. But the way I see it is that if he dropeed $500 without much haggling, then it means that they have room to work on the price.

I wish these suckers would sell their cars to me and not the dealership lol.

The reason I believe he has room is because when I purchased my Mazdaspeed Miata from him, I was able to eventually find the previous owner and he stated that he sold it to the dealership for $9,500 and I purchased it for $11,000, so he made $1500 on me when his asking price was $13000. I am just trying to get the best price possible. Money is money.

Vanessa

is here for decoration.
I guess I am being a cheap ass. But the way I see it is that if he dropeed $500 without much haggling, then it means that they have room to work on the price.

I wish these suckers would sell their cars to me and not the dealership lol.

The reason I believe he has room is because when I purchased my Mazdaspeed Miata from him, I was able to eventually find the previous owner and he stated that he sold it to the dealership for $9,500 and I purchased it for $11,000, so he made $1500 on me when his asking price was $13000. I am just trying to get the best price possible. Money is money.
If you are financing, I wouldn't ask for more than $2,000 off of the dealership's asking price... or $1,000 less than what kbb.com says the car is worth.

Rich-PMS

I'd offer 13,900. I'm sure you can get it for 14750 which is a grea price. Find others in similar condition and see what they're asking, and use that as haggling referance.

shahriar35

$13,900 does sound like a good price to start at. I think with $4500 down he will go with the deal.