2nd DA ever, few problems

subbyzzz

Had a 1992 LS like 6 months ago, and sold it.. wish I didnt.. but, I just bought a 1990 RS with 227k for 1,450 bucks. I consider that a steal. Sure it doesn't have power options or a sunroof. But sunroof's leak, power options fail and so on, so forth. It has a couple issues I need addressed though.. and bare in mine, I am only SLIGHTLY mechanically inclined and do not intend to do any of this by myself.

First, it shakes when accelerating.. all 5 gears all rpm's. Doesn't shake when in neutral, idling, or cruising, all speeds, all gears, all rpm's.. its not horrible but noticeable. Ive heard this could be anything from cv joints, axles, mounts etc.. I need to know what to tell the tire shop to do and I do not have a lot of money

Second, apparently it burns oil, just a little when accelerating to 4500-5k and up, you can see it come out the exhaust tips. It needs a quart every 2 or 3 weeks is what the guy said. I'm thinking piston rings..? What do I tell my mechanic?

Thirdly, it grinds(slightly) into 3rd but only when at high rpm's.. lets say past 4k.. only 3rd though. I'm thinking synchro's?? What should I tell mechanic.

These are the 3 major problems that I need addressed, other little things like paint, rear defroster, inside detail, alignment will make it pristine :) Please help me with the 3 main problems as I have NO IDEA what to tell my mechanic/tire shop and really only have a couple hundred to address all 3 problems

da9 b20 beast

you kinda answered ll your own questions.... shaking could be bad motor mounts check them before u buy any replacements... oil burning could be piston rings .....3rd gear try changing out your oil and adding an addictive ...you can use redline or get honda mtf see if that helps the grinding go away

subbyzzz

i don't really know how to check the motor mounts, however ill change the tranny oil

Sammich

cv joints are axles, in essence....i could very well be your axles, i'm almost willing to bet its your axles. as far as oilllare you sure its burning or are you leaking oil..

subbyzzz

I found some oil on the ground today, I also bought a tranny & I'm putting that in this weekend. I think I'm going to buy a crate motor and havr my mechanic put that in

subbyzzz

well the motor has damn near 230k but we figured out it was just the oil pan gasket, so we're just gonna replace that. and its running a bitch rich too.. but i don't really care. other than that were putting the new tranny in and clutch, replacing the gasket then everything should be kosher