2nd Gen Exhaust Set-Up:

stormnorman

hey guys i just have a couple of questions concerning my exhaust plan:

anyways, im planning on a custom set-up, have a shop(A1 Muffler) do my piping(2.5''), i want a hi flow cat but im not sure what to get on that one. i saw a brand on here, virbrant, wondering if that would be okay to get? not gonna have a resonator, and then get a magnaflow muffler and from there weld on a universal exhaust tip like greddy, hks, tanabe, something with a great deep, tone sound. im trying to get a good set-up but not one that would eat my wallet up. what do you guys think?

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
If you're just going for a deep throaty tone then that set up will work. If your plans are any type of engine building or turbo you might want to consider a higher flow system all the way back. Skunk2 Megapower is best.

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Some say straight pipe is best and logically it makes sense but other will tell you a 3" pipe, test pipe or high flow cat and a "designed for turbo" canister works best.

My vote is for the second option. A friend of mine has a 3" pipe, Vibrant (i think) high flow cat and a Skunk2 Megapower exhaust. Look, sounds and works phenomenally.

DarkDB1

Am I the only one that had to stare at the picture for a few minutes to figure out what the hell I was looking at?

Magnaflow has a good and "affordable" variety of mufflers and you can just find a universal tip that you like. I'm not too sure on the cat though...

hidenplanvew

Took me a sec to figure out too... But I would do 3" you will see alittle gain over the 2.5... If your looking for a cheap muffler go to ebay.. The quality of the knock offs have gone up, I have one on my D16z6 turbo and it sounds pretty good and actually has lasted a long while. If your looking for something that will last a few years and not kill your walet thats the way to go about it. How much is the muffler shop saying price wise? Oh if you get the magnaflows watch out for the the ones with baffles they will kill your flow there round mufflers are the best flowing not the oval ones... oval ones are for the V8 guys with 3" exhaust

THE WITCH KING.

I gotta get a new cat and I'm getting a high flow magnaflow on ebay for like $60. Search for that. They're in all sizes between 2-3".

stormnorman

thanks for the input guys. hidenplanvew i was actually looking at some ebay exhausts. and i dont really wanna do straight pipe because my car actually has a pattern underneath which the exhuast has to follow other wise id be scraping everywhere. whole plan on piping is to mandrel bend, not sure what the shop will charge though i gotta stop by there. anyways i was thinking about doing this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-CATBACK-EXHAUST-90-93-ACURA-INTEGRA-RS-GS-LS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5bc666d7QQitemZ190518290135QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6009wt_1165 and then bring it to a shop to get the tip cut off and weld a new one on from hks or greddy or apexi. what you guys think?

the product pic:
4.5 tip is way to big lol

Last edited:

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
thanks for the input guys. hidenplanvew i was actually looking at some ebay exhausts. and i dont really wanna do straight pipe because my car actually has a pattern underneath which the exhuast has to follow other wise id be scraping everywhere. whole plan on piping is to mandrel bend, not sure what the shop will charge though i gotta stop by there. anyways i was thinking about doing this:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAINLESS-CATBACK-EXHAUST-90-93-ACURA-INTEGRA-RS-GS-LS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c5bc666d7QQitemZ190518290135QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_6009wt_1165 and then bring it to a shop to get the tip cut off and weld a new one on from hks or greddy or apexi. what you guys think?

the product pic:
4.5 tip is way to big lol
That's the style of exhaust I want too. Any youtube videos of how it sounds?

hidenplanvew

I have an ebay 3" exhaust on my D16 car and its ok, The only problem is most dont line up when you bolt them up so you have to get them cut and welded alittle nothing to big. I have had mine about a 1 1/2 years and its holding up better then I thought it would. It was all part of what started as a lowbudget build and there were a bunch of people talking about them on D-series.org that were jumping on the band wagon so I did it. Only problem besides the fitmint issue was that after you put a few hours on them they tend to get alittle louder but there really quite to start with so no big deal. Still cheaper then getting a shop to make your exhaust.