5w30 or 10w30?

04caliwrx

I use 10/30 also, if you have a young car with low miles I would use 5/30 since I have been over 100k I have been using 10/30 with no decrease in mpg and I'm a very hard driver and in Vtec a lot so it really burns nothing between oil changes every 4000 miles. In my sti I run amsoil 20/50 track formula

Last edited:

el_tigre

Non-VtecB18
but all the guys here use 5w30 and it doesn't matter if they have more than 100 k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDMxDB8

Raceline USA
I use 10/30 also, if you have a young car with low miles I would use 5/30 since I have been over 100k I have been using 10/30 with no decrease in mpg and I'm a very hard driver and in Vtech a lot so it really burns nothing between oil changes every 4000 miles. In my sti I run amsoil 20/50 track formula
Just because the mileage is over 100K miles, doesn't mean you have to switch to a higher oil viscosity.

BTW, it's "VTEC", not "VTECH".

And is your STi fully built or something? 20W-50 seems a bit excessive if it's a stock STi.

04caliwrx

Just because the mileage is over 100K miles, doesn't mean you have to switch to a higher oil viscosity.

BTW, it's "VTEC", not "VTECH".

And is your STi fully built or something? 20W-50 seems a bit excessive if it's a stock STi.
yes full 2.6 with a 30r ewg tuned on e85 and it's a track only car!

and nothing wrong with running 10-30 or 5-30 is't all on what you want to run.

supersilko

Im using 10w30 if 5w30 is better than i will change it next oil change since i just change oil pan gasket

Sent from my Game Gear using Tapatalk

SiDream

I run 5w30, unless I'm up north and it's winter, then it's 0w30. If I remember correctly, oil has a temperature level and the colder it is will effect your oil.

Integra98ls

I use both, 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. But then again I also live in wisconsin so it actually makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

SbS91TeG

Banned
Always run recommend oil levels if its beefd up engine then use same viscosity but a synthetic would be smarter. The engine designers are the ones paid the big bucks to fig this shit out. Its like sayin higher octane level makes u go faster or get better mpg no it controls ping and detonation better.

TheCrimsonStar

I use both, 10w30 in the summer and 5w30 in the winter. But then again I also live in wisconsin so it actually makes a difference.

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2
That really doesn't make a difference if you think about it. 10W30 means it acts like a 10-weight in the winter when it's colder and the 30 means it acts like a 30 when it's warm. 99% of oil is multi-viscosity now. Using 10w30 or 5w30 in the hotter months makes no difference since it acts like a 30 weight in the summer months. I use 5W30 year round.

Then again I live in TN so it may make a difference for you :p

Sent from my GameBoy Color using Tapatalk.