5w30 or 10w30?

CamoTeg

I bought my '98 Integra about 3 months ago. The body has 120k miles on it but mileage on the engine is unknown. It has a B18B1 that was pulled from another Integra. I've always been one to religiously change oil EVERY 3,000 miles. It's just built in me to do that. The guy I bought the car from gave me Mobil 5000 10w30 oil to use in it so I changed the oil as soon as I bought the car and put a Honda filter on it and all is good. Motor does not make any noises or leak/smoke whatsoever. I was thinking about switching to 5w30 for the next oil change and just running that from now on.

Would that be a bad decision since the mileage of the engine is unknown? I've had a few people tell me to run 5w30 and put a bottle of STP oil treatment in with the oil when I change it but that stuff is really thick and I don't want to starve the top end of the motor. Should be changing the oil one day this week.

If I don't switch to a thinner oil and stick with 10w30 is there a specific brand oil that you guys recommend running in these cars? The Mobil clean 5000 seemed to work pretty good and still looks clean on the dipstick and I'm almost up to 3,000 miles on this oil change. Thanks for all the help I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
where do you live?

I personally use Mobil 1 0w-40 for my car. But when i had my original motor i used whatever was on sale. But, since clean 5000 is always on sale i would go with the 5w30. the 5w and 10w will be the same once warmed up.

awright3331

G1 TEG
No sir, it would not be a bad decision, but I would keep it on what the engine is using right now, with the honda filter, dont go from oil to oil, if you use mobil, stick with any mobil as mobil cleans varnish off of stuff