90 Integra auto tranny problems

boostedteggy90

Hey i recently bought another 90 integra rs but this one is automatic for my daily driver and i don't have much experience with auto tranny's as this is the first auto car ive owned.

The problem is that it make a LOUD grinding noise when putting into reverse and doesnt move, like it isn't engaging all the way. The S3 light is blinking and i looked at the transmission control box and it flashes 4 times which means "lockup clutch does not engage". The car shifts perfectly going forward. Also the idle sometimes goes up and down when at low speeds. Tranny fluid level is good also.

Could this be a bad shifter solenoid or something worse?

Thanks!

Edit: Just figured out that if you mess with the gears a little bit, it will eventually go into reverse just fine. Oh and the S3 light doesnt start blinking until after you driven the car for a couple minutes

Last edited:

krisx13

Schweet.
i have this EXACT same problem, same year car too. i had a tranny guy tell me it could be a bad solenoid as well but i have yet to diagnose the problem. let me know if you figure it out

boostedteggy90

yeah that "4 blinks" the tranny box is giving me means my vss sensor is bad but i doubt that would not alow it to go into reverse. Im stumped.

krisx13

Schweet.
i dunno....my s3 light doesn't blink at all so i don't think anything is wrong with my tranny physically. i think it's just a bad solenoid. your s3 light blinks however so it could be indicating something worse? mechanical wise. i still dont know

Dreis

Wahts a title???

Hi guys I have obviously not spent a LOT of time here yet but I have this car that slips into 3rd. Tried searching & cant come up with much in the way of tranny ID I think there has been a swap of some kind. The obd is def 90-91 & I have a CEL but no blinking light on the ECU...?
Also the chassis is a 93... Weird huh? I call it a 91 out of habbit & confusion. I dont know how to ID the motor & trans & think I need to swap the trans as well as fix the fuel system (intake sensors) or something.

Dont mean to hijack. My bad.