90 teg Clutch interlock switch removal

z1gary

how the xxx do you remove it?

I removed the knee panel, removed the cruise cntl clutch switch and I can see the clutch interlock switch but I can't even get my hand in there!!!, let alone a wrench...unbelievable...is there a trick??? is there a tool???

Thanks,
G

people talk about bypassing it etc...but you still need access don't you???

drmdolfan

1996 Integra GSR
Clutch Interlock

I just did this job the other day. I was going to bypass the switch but I decided to do it this way instead. I've used these rubber bumpers on 2 of my 3 switches of this type that dry-rotted and broke off. The clutch interlock is a pain but I was able to do it as follows:

1) Advance Auto Parts and perhaps other auto stores carries a small rubber bumper assortment - about $4. I just saw it on the Advance web site as "Dorman Help Rubber Bumper Assortment", Part. No. 45393. Pick out the one that looks like the end of a crayon tip. I cut a little rubber off the non-tapered (stubby) end to be about the same length as the original.
2) I hate taking apart mechanical components because something bad always happens when I try to put them back in place. So what i did was to pierce the rubber bumper through the stubby end with a thin nail - about 2 inches long.
3) I pressed the clutch in a good ways so that I had a good view of the retainer and I wedged my small maglite-sized flashlight into the lever mechanism so that it would keep the clutch in the same position without me holding it.
4) Then by holding the nail with the bumper on it, I carefully reached around and fed the bumper straight into the retainer from the direction of the interlock switch button. I had the clutch in a position where I could press the tapered bumper end into the retainer and maneuver the stubby end into position up against the switch button. I pressed down on the clutch to ensure that the bumper was fully seated in the retainer. I also used a flathead screwdriver from the side to press the bumper in.
5) Finally, I took the flathead screwdriver and from the side, I held down the bumper and pulled my nail straight back out of the bumper.

This sounds a little convoluted but I didn't have to remove or disassemble any switches or clutch components except for removing the lower dash trim panel and knee piece.