91 b18a1 cheap hp

dailytegra

so i just got my first integra and it runs really well and im a student so my budget is kind of small but i was thinking whats the best advice for the most hp for my buck like chips and all these bolt ons etc im planning on turboeing it later.

Swerve

Shawn
Stay away from chips at the start, most are a rip off. The main 3 things you want first are an intake (cold air or short ram) exhaust headers, and exhaust parts (high flow cat, catBack) those will add horsepower but too awful much , they are all considered bolt ins and are easy to put on and not too expensive.

dailytegra

yea well i got to lift the car up and look under it see what wxhaust parts it has on it because it has something after market and its not cheap because it sounds really good not like a cherry bomb plus who ever had it before obviously cared because they put good springs or coilovers on it because its really stiff and in my glove box i have the adjuster tools so i think they are coil overs plus it came with nice rims so im thinking who ever put parts on cared about the quality and the muffler dont look knock off too! but ive been told that putting aftermarket pulleys or polished pulleys or some thing like that does a lot could some one explain on that? sorry im writing a shit load im just new to the honda game!

dailytegra

ohh and i dont think im gonna put headers on just yet because in a few months im gonna save up and get a turbo kit so i dont want to waste money on headers if im gonna need different ones later

Swerve

Shawn
I think you may need headers for a turbo haha im not sure tho. Personal preference. But changing pulleys will gain hp on mustangs i know for sure idk how much on an integra.

Charly[horse]

Name = John
Pulleys I have heard don't help much but do help a tiny bit (not good bang for your buck). You have to swap your headers out for a turbo manifold if you go turbo. No chips for the integra, just getting it tuned helps but thats expensive. Best bet I guess is intake, and weight reduction. If you are going turbo you should start building your engine, turbos on stock engines is not a good idea

DarkDB1

Not sure if pulleys make that big of a difference on Integra's, I know it does for my truck... But anyways... A tune up is a fairly cheap and simple way to get some of the lost power (Spark plugs, wires, distributor/cap, timing belt etc...) then basic bolt ons.

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/impp_0908_1993_acura_integra_gs/

After a tune up it made 118HP... after Intake (1.3HP gain), Header (It's not headerS, It's a Header [4.7HP gain]), Greddy Exhaust (3.6HP gain)... After all said and done it makes 127HP. That's from a 93 which is factory rated to be 140HP at the crank.

There are no single modifications unless you go forced induction to make a power difference... Or you can buy another car that makes more power out of the box...

Royal_DA

Royal
haha forget the intake! you will not notice any difference besides it making your bay look better. This^

dlo253

If u are gonna boost just wait. Because header and intake will get replaced once you boost. Just be patient and save up for boost and all the little stuff that goes along with it. Let's see some pics tho!

Swerve

Shawn
Baisically every little thing helps by 2-4 hp. Honestly tho on hondas youre better off building the suspension up because in autox and track thats where they shine, a mustang or camaro will beat a honda in a straight line any day (unless the honda has hella boost) but the honda can torch other cars in the corners.

enoch723

Stay away from chips at the start, most are a rip off. The main 3 things you want first are an intake (cold air or short ram) exhaust headers, and exhaust parts (high flow cat, catBack) those will add horsepower but too awful much , they are all considered bolt ins and are easy to put on and not too expensive.
.. running a straight pipe with no cat would give you more horsepower.. and really if your adding 2-5 hp per mod its not worth it. Anything under 10% gain your not going to notice the difference. PLUS cold air intakes and short ram intakes DO NOT ADD hp to a stock engine. They really dont do anything but free up hp IF you have an exhaust system. Kind of how a blow off valve wont help unless its boosted. To prove what Im saying..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAIxeQUSg-Q&feature=g-user-u

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCi2yo4UqPI&feature=g-user-u

And if you plan on boosting it, YES you need a new header unless you want to choke your system out. And to do it right will not be cheap in the slightest. I would recommend doing a full rebuild before you boost it. You have no idea what kind of pressure that engine has been through. While you doing new gaskets and stuff, get new pistons rods and rings, valves and springs, maybe even new cams and gears to help the extra pressure. The worse thing you can do is boost your car when the internals cant take the extra pressure.

And to do a RIGHT turbo system, its going to cost you upwords of 1500. You dont just slap a turbo on and call it good. Your going to want an intercooler, blow off valves, waste gate, and full exhaust system

Last edited:

enoch723

Baisically every little thing helps by 2-4 hp. Honestly tho on hondas youre better off building the suspension up because in autox and track thats where they shine, a mustang or camaro will beat a honda in a straight line any day (unless the honda has hella boost) but the honda can torch other cars in the corners.
Again not true. I personally run a stock 88 integra only pushing about 115 hp and beat my friends 2006 mustang pushing 206 hp everyday on my way to work. There are a lot of variants though. Any race depends on the driver and how the car puts down the torque. A drag race is a measure of torque really more then hp. You take me, someone that can drive and knows where my power band is with a 5 speed against my friends automatic v6, I will beat him every time