91 GS : Flickering Light Issue

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
quick question.. I ran a search for dimming lights, and flickering lights, and nothing came up.. just bought a DA and its running perfect. 91 GS (b18a1) 85k on the engine, all new seals.. Got a question about it though. While im driving at night, the cluster / headlights flicker. Its almost like when you see a light bulb almost dim completely out, but its still on, and then it comes back to full power. What is the problem?

tisguy

Could be any factor of things. normally dimming/flickering headlights is caused by a sound system drawing too much power, depriving other electrical equipment of power. so first question, are you running a sound system? if you are, then you're going to need a capacitor for it.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
let me guess, its when you let off the accelerator or push in your clutch too, right?

I think its a common things on DA's. at idle the alternator doesn't make "enough" power. If the dimming is getting really bad, you might want to look into getting a new alternator and LET ME TELL YOU! It is a pain in the pooper to replace, but well worth the experiance.

run some test on your alternator to see if its up to par. I think someone said that places like autozone will test it for free? (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to false advertise).

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
tisguy said:
Could be any factor of things. normally dimming/flickering headlights is caused by a sound system drawing too much power, depriving other electrical equipment of power. so first question, are you running a sound system? if you are, then you're going to need a capacitor for it.
No, i am running the stock DA head unit (tape Deck)

Kuchtaboy said:
let me guess, its when you let off the accelerator or push in your clutch too, right?

I think its a common things on DA's. at idle the alternator doesn't make "enough" power. If the dimming is getting really bad, you might want to look into getting a new alternator and LET ME TELL YOU! It is a pain in the pooper to replace, but well worth the experiance.

run some test on your alternator to see if its up to par. I think someone said that places like autozone will test it for free? (someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to false advertise).
Yeah.. it does that sometimes too.. Whenever im driving down the road in like 5th gear just cruising like 40-50mph i can see the cluster and headlights dim. Yeah i heard the alternators are a bitch to change because they are really hard to get too. I hope my alternator isnt bad. The engine thats in it has 85K Origonal miles on it, so more than likely it is an alternator problem.. I'll go over to autozone and see if they will test it for free. Might as well try to see if its free or not. I'de rather not have the alternator poop out on me while im sitting in traffic or something. Thanks for the suggestions though..

I have another quick question.. right now i have the Acura tape deck in my car, I was wondering if there is a model of the DA's that have a CD player in them? Just curious, because i want to keep the car OEM looking except for JDM parts that I am planning to buy, but as far as the sound system, i really want to install an OEM cd player to keep the Clean look. just curious.. I looked on ebay for acura cd players for 90-93 and listings came up, but im not possitive if they actually made a cd player that would just plug right up to the harness. thanks in advance!

Sirfallsalot243

Just intstall an OEM CD player out of a G3. It looks OEM, says Honda on it, and fits in perfect.

As for replacing the alternator, I prefer to pull the axle, some people take off the master cylinder and take it out from the top. Your choice.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
nope dude. No CD players. I'm surprised you actually got a tape deck! lol, people usually swap them out for cd players. I'm sure you could find a good one that will keep the stock look flowing for it. I have jsut a cheapo Sony deck in my DA, and I think it looks pretty clean.

as for the alternator being a bitch... Its really not TOO bad, as long as you know what you are doing. Its just time consuming. There's a link somewhere in the lounge for free service manuals. That should tell you how to replace it.

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
Kuchtaboy said:
nope dude. No CD players. I'm surprised you actually got a tape deck! lol, people usually swap them out for cd players. I'm sure you could find a good one that will keep the stock look flowing for it. I have jsut a cheapo Sony deck in my DA, and I think it looks pretty clean.

as for the alternator being a bitch... Its really not TOO bad, as long as you know what you are doing. Its just time consuming. There's a link somewhere in the lounge for free service manuals. That should tell you how to replace it.
I know how to replace the alternator, and i have a service manual already (came with the car). I havent really opened the hood since i got it and taken a really good look at it besides checking the fluids and putting a battery tie-down in. I'm assuming its right next to / under the intake manifold like my civic. Yeah, I was pretty suprised to see the tape deck too. Your DA interior is clean looking. Its nice to have the tape deck (just to have it), but i have a lot of CD's that i'de like to play, but i dont want to get an aftermarket head unit, just because i want to keep it looking stock.

Mister_Perkins

Oil Field Worker
Sirfallsalot243 said:
Just intstall an OEM CD player out of a G3. It looks OEM, says Honda on it, and fits in perfect.

As for replacing the alternator, I prefer to pull the axle, some people take off the master cylinder and take it out from the top. Your choice.
the G3 cd player will plug right into the oem harness?

JimmyRos.

07 BMW 328Xi
Melt said:
is it just me or does Kuchtaboy have the cleanest g2 interior EVER
his mom cleans it for him. no joke.

both omni and kutcha have the cleanest DA interior on CI.

Kuchtaboy

Unregistered User
Melt said:
is it just me or does Kuchtaboy have the cleanest g2 interior EVER
JDM_Conversion said:
both omni and kutcha have the cleanest DA interior on CI.
Thanks d00ds

JDM_Conversion said:
his mom cleans it for him. no joke.
Yeah, so my mom helped me out a little... lol, naw, Thats actually the reason I got the car. lol

Carlito_medina3

Did you remove the fuse that runs from the 12 volt(yellow wire) to your radio?
that's what i did and it ran through one of my batteries.

schado

weightless wonder
x2... I had the same problem. Issue solved when i replaced the alternator.