93' Integra Circle Track Car Fuel Problem

TJ13

Hello Club Integra! Don't know the most about these so I thought there might be some experienced and skilled members here to help a brother out. I got a 1993 Teg that runs on a about 1/5 mile asphault oval here in southern wisconsin. The car is nearly stock, stripped, roll cage, stock b18a1 (shaven head), stock steelies on 4 sumitomo htr 200's, stock exhaust manifold straight pipe into glass pack, cut springs, cut and adjustable upper control arms, oversized steel gas lines, and other stuff too. The car runs great pulls very well. We run about 4.5k to 7k for 8-20 laps depending on the race, but we have had a fuel problem since we bought the car which is why im here. Each night we make it to the track I run about 6-8 laps and the car cuts out of fuel. For example this last weekend I made it 6 laps in the 8 lap heat before it did this, I came out of turn 2 got on it and it goes into almost an idle and just bah, bah, bah, doesnt go anywhere. If I pull off for only a minute the car is back and runs normally again, but obviously you get passed then...:( lol. We are trying a higher capacity walbro pump this week, and a fuel regulator. I really don't know what else it could be???!!!! Any suggestions would be great. Please! This could be a very fast and competitive car!! SOO FRUSTRATING!!! Thanks!

TJ

speedin

The Transporter
Its fuel surge. The fuel is sloshing to the far side of the tank. The oval track is amplifying this. You might want to move the fuel pump pickup to the right side of the tank using a line of some sort (assuming normal left hand turn oval) however this is far from the best option. Another option is to get a fuel bladder from ATL, this is the ideal solution and WILL fix that problem. A last in the middle option is ATL sells anti surge foam that goes into the tank and keeps the fuel from sloshing around, but given your prolonged constant turn this might not be a total solution. However it is cheap and easy enough to install to just try out.

http://www.atlinc.com/racing.html

Last edited:

TJ13

Thanks for the response! At one time there was a fuel cell in the car to try and correct the problem but it still cut out with the fuel cell in place. Maybe it could still be the tank but wouldn't a fuel cell pick up fuel at all times any way. They also turn us backwards at any given race because the car is supposed to be completely stock.

speedin

The Transporter
Thanks for the response! At one time there was a fuel cell in the car to try and correct the problem but it still cut out with the fuel cell in place. Maybe it could still be the tank but wouldn't a fuel cell pick up fuel at all times any way. They also turn us backwards at any given race because the car is supposed to be completely stock.
If it wasnt a blattered fuel cell it might not have solved anything. Try the foam out, like I said its cheap and easy to put in. All you really do is squish it up in put it in through the sending unit hole. How much fuel is in the tank when it starts to do this? I noticed you said you had oversized steel gas lines, why? With what the car has done there is no reason for that, that could cause an issue.

I also bet the cut springs are not helping you.

natt2000

i race asphalt, and my 91 teg doesnt have that problem. also cut springs on the left side helped my car out. theres a ton of small things you can do to the car to set it up.... pm me if your interested. im too tired to go into details right now. also, 1/5 is damn small.

TJ13

I run at Jefferson Speedway in Jefferson, WI. There are also tracks in columbus and rockford, many more. It doesn't matter how full the tank is it does it, the steel lines were put in by the previous owner idk why? Jefferson is a 1/4 mile but it has a tunnel turn that only my class runs on making it closer to a 1/5 mile...

speedin

The Transporter
I run at Jefferson Speedway in Jefferson, WI. There are also tracks in columbus and rockford, many more. It doesn't matter how full the tank is it does it, the steel lines were put in by the previous owner idk why? Jefferson is a 1/4 mile but it has a tunnel turn that only my class runs on making it closer to a 1/5 mile...
Then it doesnt sound like a slosh issue, id try a new walbro pump.

TJ13

Yea thanks, ordered one yesterday. It should be here by thurs so i can take the car to practice and see if anything changes.

knishkustomz

have you figured out what was causing this? i have had the same problem with my racecar for along time now and have talked to others that race integras and they have it too but nobody knows how to fix it. i noticed thst if i shift gears when it stalls then i have full power again and can shift back down into second and run a few more laps before it does it again. happens after about 5-10 laps running in just second gear with out shifting then again every 2-3 after the first stall. im not hiting the rev limiter. I believe its something in the body wiring harness (doesnt make any sence, but we figured out the ones that were having the prob were realy gutted out. dash, any wiring that looked unneeded. maybe i cut an important ground wire somewhere). i have replaced the engine harness, ecu, injectors, IAC, TB, distributor, about every sensor i can see, fuel pump, and now i bought a body harness im going to try. I can park my car and hold it at about 5500 rpms in neutral for about a minute or 2 and it stalls like on the track until you completly let off the throttle. it has a fuel cell with factory pump and wired to a on off switch. also it does have steel fuel lines ran under the car (illegal to have fuel lines in drivers compartment). any help would be much appreciated. thank you

Danimal Racing

I posted in another forum about this. I also race in Illinois and we had 3 integras doing the same thing. Happens with 92-95 obd1 ecu's. Car is going into limp mode. Ecu is having like a heart attack and needs to reset. We all rechipped our ecu eliminating anything that would put it into limp mode. All cars run great now. Same issues with an auto, manual, and a gsr. This is now a pretty common problem if you google it for circle track racing and they all are 92 and up.

TJ13

Old thread but...nope I have not figured it out but have ran the car the past two seasons with great success. I have the ignition near me so I flip it every few laps to reset everything and this is the only thing that works. I learned about that from the only other teg that ran at the track which had the same problem.

Last edited:

TJ13

I posted in another forum about this. I also race in Illinois and we had 3 integras doing the same thing. Happens with 92-95 obd1 ecu's. Car is going into limp mode. Ecu is having like a heart attack and needs to reset. We all rechipped our ecu eliminating anything that would put it into limp mode. All cars run great now. Same issues with an auto, manual, and a gsr. This is now a pretty common problem if you google it for circle track racing and they all are 92 and up.
I'd like to learn more of your cars. How'd you rechip them and how are your cars setup? I run a stock class.

Danimal Racing

Update.... We did find out we did need the speedo hooked up which is where the vss (vehicle speed sensor) is routed through. 94 and up use a electonic and older use mechanical. On my particular car we relocated the cluster but pulled out the speedo cable cause of the crossbar. Well everything worked except the speedo. Got another cable and fixed the issue. Chipping it helped performance but when we thought it was fixed the following races we missed practice and had lengthy cautions untill we found out the next week it wasnt fixed. By the way I race at Grundy County Speedway in Morris IL and a little bit at Illiana Speedway in Indiana. Search Grundy County Speedway 4 Cylinder racing on fb. There is a group page. Also ran Rockford speedway this year.