'93 Integra crankshaft bolt removal

kingpin1432

I am trying to replace the timing belt on my '93 integra. I am stuck at the crankshaft. I have searched and have tried several techniques yet none are working. Use a 1/2' impact gun and a 1inch impact gun and even used a crank pulley tool and it still hasnt budged. I am looking to fix this problem today.

I have also used heat to try and loosen the bolt and turn and nothing is working. Any clues on what else I can do?

Thanks!

Kingpin

tsu878

"Supersonic Vtec fun"
i used a 1" impact gun, the kind that are for diesel lug nuts. ask a local shop to break it loose

Prozon

Kris
A crank pulley tool would be useless if you still have the bolt on it!

You have three options regarding the pulley bolt.
1.) Take it to a shop, have them take the bolt off, then put it back on so you can take it off when your home.
2.) Use a breaker bar on the bolt and something to hold the pulley.
3.) Get more air power the size of the gun means nothing if there isn't enough air to put some torque down!

After the bolt is off, a pulley can help you if it's still stuck on. I had to make my own key because I didnt have one, so mine fits tight. I usually put a screwdriver behind the pulley on the oil pan and pound till it comes off.

Don't use heat on the bolt.

Good luck, and don't forget to change the water pump when you change the timing belt.

ghuber

You have three options regarding the pulley bolt.
1.) Take it to a shop, have them take the bolt off, then put it back on so you can take it off when your home.
2.) Use a breaker bar on the bolt and something to hold the pulley.
3.) Get more air power the size of the gun means nothing if there isn't enough air to put some torque down!

After the bolt is off, a pulley can help you if it's still stuck on. I had to make my own key because I didnt have one, so mine fits tight. I usually put a screwdriver behind the pulley on the oil pan and pound till it comes off.

Don't use heat on the bolt.

Good luck, and don't forget to change the water pump when you change the timing belt.
why don't you want to use head on the bolt? just curious? i'm currently having the same issue except i cannot get it off. i have tried all kinds of things.

emd513

it can damage the crank and weaken both it and the bolt. your putting way more heat then your motor even gets when you do that, the parts are not design to go to such an extreme temp

mirrorimg

What? The tool is to hold the crank in place so the proper torque can be applied to break the bolt free. Its a $15 life saver.

Last edited:

emd513

the crank pulley puller doesnt hold anything. it only pulls the pulley off it doesnt hold anything.

mirrorimg

I'm not talking about a puller, the Honda Crank pulley tool (google it) has six sides that fit into the crank pulley to hold the pulley in place with a ratchet/extension. You then can loosen the bolt without the motor spinning.

OP, you may need a long pole to get more leverage.

Prozon

Kris
My bad. It looks like emd513 and I are on the same page though. I was thinking of a pulley puller, not the actual pulley tool.