93 Integra Spark Issue??

PvN0123

I just purchased this integra and I have what I believe to be a miss. I know a little about cars. I started to try and diagnose what might be my problem. I changed the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires. I still have the problem. While the car is running I pulled one plug wire at a time and found that cylinder #3 didn't change when i pulled the plug wire off. I haven't been able to test to see if I am getting spark from the distributor. ( I have to recruit some help to test it.) I was wondering if anyone has run into this kind of problem before or if someone could recommend some tests that I could do. Oh here are some details about the car. It is a 1993 Integra LS, 5spd. It is stock. Thank you for any help!

kfed

Can you explain in more detail about your situation? what is your car doing at idle and when you're driving?

Prozon

Kris
Your timing could be off. Maybe the timing belt jumped a tooth. But like KFed asked, please give a little more information.

PvN0123

The car idles like it has a misfire. I have pulled the spark plug out and grounded it to the engine and found that I am getting spark. It is runs rough till you get the rpm's to about 3k then it seems to accelerate just fine. I can smell gas when I am at idle. I have looked at the injectors and cannot find any gas leaking anywhere. I figured I wasn't getting spark and that why I could smell the gas. I haven't checked the timing yet. I will try and do that this weekend.

Last edited:

kfed

I had a similar experience with the gas smell and a hint of misfire. I tested my ignition control module (ICM) located in the distributor and it was not properly functional. Also you have 3 other sensor in your distributor that may not be functioning correctly. I ended up getting a refurbished one and the smell went away. Have your ICM tested at an autozone (I think autozone is the only store that does this). If your distributor is stock try getting a stock one from a junk yard because auto part stores will only have generic fitting icm. Napa has a better quality refurbishing policy while pepboys and autozone uses cardone, and I don't have knowlegde of other autoparts stores.

ACURANSXT00

Sounds like your distributor is messed up. Along with the chip inside the distributor also the sensor maybe damaged. I wouldn't try replacing the inside parts, just replace the whole distributor and you should be fine.

PvN0123

I just want to say Thanks to all the help. Unforunately after doing a compression test today I found that #3 cylinder is reading about 50psi. So it is time for JDM engine.

PvN0123

I have been do some research and found several B18B for sale. Does anyone know what I would have to swap over from the old engine? Or if this is a do able swap?

Prozon

Kris
Swapping a B18A1 to a B18B1 is pretty much a direct swap.

But... do not buy them from random people.

Shell out some extra dough and get an engine elsewhere. OR just have your engine rebuilt.