93 Integra with high CO?

rosystreasures

1990 Integra GS 4dr
I am talking to an owner of a 93 with 173k. It has high (dont know how high) CO. I know you cant truly diagnose a car without the car...just got his email...it used to blow white smoke, but no longer...ideas?

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
white smoke = possible head gasket failure

check the plugs see if they have white residue that is also a good indication... also have a mechanic perform a block test.

you can also do a compression & leakdown test to see what up... want to see somewhat uniform PSI across each cylinder with no more variance that 5-10 PSI

rosystreasures

1990 Integra GS 4dr
Thats what I thought. I finally got to speak to him. Said the new head gasket wasnt sealed correctly. He also performed a tune-up. The smoke was no longer present.

What is a block test?

djzachtyler

it is a test that mechanics commonly perform with the car running. they remove the radiator cap and attacha tube filled with a liquid dye and look for exhaust gas bubbles to come out of the coolant.

if the dye changes colors you basically have exhaust leaking into your coolant which is another sign of a headgasket issue.

djzachtyler

another quick thought.... a fouled o2 sensor could lead to whitish smoke (car running rich) due to unburnt fuel. this would also cause a high CO count.. few other things that come to mind would be a failing MAP sensor, ECT sensor, TPS sensor, & dirty or clogged air filter.