94 auto locks intermittent

dsenn

My auto-locks work sometimes and not others. It is random and the key will lock the doors just fine. I checked fuses and took apart drivers side lock mechanism. All looks fine and works mechanically. I think it may be electrical but don't know where to start.

Alarm unlock is inop when switches won't unlock.
Pass and driver switches don't work when alarm is inop.
Randomly, it all starts to work regardless of what I checked or moved.

Any ideas?

SoundEfx

If it's an aftermarket alarm system and it's cold, that some times causes havoc on the doors.

I think that I read a thread where that happens because the low mechanism doesn't totally unlock, and because of that, looks as if it 'relocks' itself.

When it happened with me, you can actually see the locks unlock, then suddenly lock itself.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
Im having this same problem, I have an aftermarket alarm system as well but Ive had this problem long before the alarm was installed. Ive replaced the lock control module and it does seem to vary with the temperature

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
The power locks are notorious for being shit in these cars.
Make sure the door latch mechanism is clean, spray some wd-40 in it.
The power lock actuators are known for going bad.
Aftermarket remote locks use the oem lock actuators to cycle the locks.
Another common problem is the clicking sound when the doors try to lock or unlock.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
The power locks are notorious for being s*** in these cars.
Make sure the door latch mechanism is clean, spray some wd-40 in it.
The power lock actuators are known for going bad.
Aftermarket remote locks use the oem lock actuators to cycle the locks.
Another common problem is the clicking sound when the doors try to lock or unlock.
I have cleaned and lube my door hinge and lock mechanism here recently
I don't have my aftermarket alarm system set to actuate the power lock just arm/disarm alarm
I thought the clicking noise was what tells you that the actuators are still good
Is it possible the wire in the door broke and grounded from the opening and closing for 20yrs?
Idk why they do this, its annoying

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
I believe the clicking sound is because of a plastic gear that gets worn down and starts to skip teeth. I've never actually fixed this problem in my old Integras. I think 2 of 3 had this.
If a wire was grounded or shorted the power locks probably wouldn't work at all.
Are you using a fob to lock/unlock?
There are ways to get around it by unlocking the car in certain ways or in a certain order. Also hitting the switch in the car then pushing the lock/unlock indicator in whatever direction will let it lock/unlock.

I had a problem that one door wouldn't lock at all, no matter what I tried. Cleaning the door latch fixed that problem.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I don't think its teeth grinding because every door does it the exact same way no matter the direction I press.
I am not using a fob to lock/unlock, Im using the switch on the door.
I don't understand what the problem is; no fuse prob, I just replaced the lock module.
I guess ill try cleaning the lock/door assembly
Ive never gotten a straight answer or cause as to what it could be, doesn't seem like anyone knows why they do this

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Ive never gotten a straight answer or cause as to what it could be, doesn't seem like anyone knows why they do this
I don't know of anyone off hand that has found a definate solution to this problem.
I've never taken apart the lock module but there must be a servo motor or possibly but unlikely a linear piston actuator somewhere in the system for it to work.
I assume they are using a servo motor since they are cheaper and smaller than an electric linear actuator. They would have used a brushed motor.
Over time the brushes in the motor get worn down or corroded, and greatly reduce the power of the motor.

Try taking apart the motor and cleaning the brushes then putting some dielectric grease on them.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
Try taking apart the motor and cleaning the brushes then putting some dielectric grease on them.
Where is/are the motor(s)? is there a single motor for all the doors or one for each and where abouts would it be located and what would it look like?

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Where is/are the motor(s)? is there a single motor for all the doors or one for each and where abouts would it be located and what would it look like?
I am going off the basis that there must be something to move the lock mechanism. I don't know for sure where the motor is or what it would look like, or even if there is a motor.
A motor is the most likely way to get the locks to cycle.
My guess is that there is a motor in each door, which is why some people have the clicking sound in only one door.
Take off the door panel and look inside for the power lock controller, it is a small box with an orange label kinda near the speaker.
You can also look for the pushrods inside the door and see where they go.

cborden

Jesus is THE way
I am going off the basis that there must be something to move the lock mechanism. I don't know for sure where the motor is or what it would look like, or even if there is a motor.
A motor is the most likely way to get the locks to cycle.
My guess is that there is a motor in each door, which is why some people have the clicking sound in only one door.
Take off the door panel and look inside for the power lock controller, it is a small box with an orange label kinda near the speaker.
You can also look for the pushrods inside the door and see where they go.
Yeah I replaced the lock control module and it seemed to work better for a while, because it didn't work at all for a while, but not its acting up again.
As far as I thought; Im pretty sure there are actuators in each door that just snap in or out when they receive current