94 Auto Tranny 136K Never been serviced.

Surferman

So my 94 auto ls tranny has never been serviced.
It has 136K miles on it, and shop guy says cant do a flush on it because of all the sediments and the trannys not used to the new fluid.

Today honda dealer says he noticed my fluid was dirty(he was changing timingbelt) and asked if I wanted to do somthing that cost 179$ to flush it or do somthing to it 3 times.(not exacatly sure what)

Anyways, just wanted to get some opinions on what I should do with it. I plan on keeping the car till at least 200K but dont have the money to get a new tranny\rebuild right now.
so should I
Let them do that thing were they run fluid in it 3 times?
Save for rebuld?
Get a new one?

sometimes when driving I push the gas and it revs(but doesnt go faster) for a second or two. other than that it drives decent.

ideas?
thanks!

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
im shure he talking about a drain and fill 3 times, i would probally do that. they say when ones really dirty and varnished the new fluid will loosen it up and cause failure. just make shure you use honda fluid.

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
do they charge for each flush or is it one fee.

Surferman

im shure he talking about a drain and fill 3 times, i would probally do that. they say when ones really dirty and varnished the new fluid will loosen it up and cause failure. just make shure you use honda fluid.
Yeah that's what I'll probally do once I save up. I didn't think about if you did it three times. Now I see why they said that. Thanks for pointin that out heh. I guess that would do some help. I just hope it's not too late or anything.

And I beleve the whole thing (3flushes/refils) is 179$.

DA6righthand

Registered Badass
i never paid anyone to flush mine and i change it with no problems...yet.

i use AMSOIL ATF. so far it works like a dream.

if you have any issues with your trans, find a used one. no one wants them so they go for cheap. go to an import car shop and ask them to find you one (as long as you can buy honda motor swaps from them, they should come by one pretty fast, that's what i did)

mteg

Automatic Lover
Personnaly, I would just look on craigslist for another tranny. You could probably find one for around $200 or under.

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Well the dealership will rape you on it for sure.

I can't remember the exact number, but either a rebuild or new one installed pays 10 hours. That might be a trans rebuild, cuz that seems like too much for just installing a new one. Idk I can't remember what we used to charge down at the shop to install a new one :( It didn't happen that often haha

AcurInteg96

Just call me chris.
anywork done on a car ive found whether it be a small shop or a major name brand shop will charge you for how many hours the service manual requires. now if you know a mechanic looking for some side jobs and extra money they may be able to help you out. cuz instead of paying honda 100/hr i pay my friend who works there 20/hr.

136k and the fluid has never been changed? Dont touch it. Theres a good chance that if they flush it you'll have sediments loosen up and clog the trans filter.